All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Department of Health Services does not testify to, sponsor, or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages.
National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program:
The NHSC loan repayment program works to recruit and retain primary care clinicians to underserved areas. This is achieved via the repayment of educational loans for certain health professionals in exchange for working a minimum of two years at a clinic in a high-need shortage area. Clinics must provide financial access to care and meet other NHSC site requirements to become an approved NHSC work site.
For more information:
- Apply to the program
- NHSC hosts a Jobs Center which posts current vacancies at NHSC approved sites. You can search by location, discipline, HPSA score, site name or a combination of these factors. National Health Service Corps Jobs Center
- To see currently approved NHSC sites, please check here and select Wisconsin from the drop-down menu: National Health Service Corps Approved Sites
- To see if other sites are located in a HPSA and might be eligible for NHSC, check here: Find Shortage Areas: HPSA/MUA/P by address
The Wisconsin Primary Care Office coordinates NHSC recruitment assistance in the state in the following ways:
- Disseminating information about NHSC resources to clinics, clinicians, and other state partners,
- Providing technical assistance to clinics and clinicians on submission of their NHSC applications,
- Verifying the eligibility of site applications from clinics,
- Helping clinicians identify vacancies eligible for loan repayment or scholar placements.
For more information about eligibility and applications for National Health Service Corps recruitment assistance, contact:
Wisconsin Division of Public Health
PO Box 2659
Madison WI 53701
Wisconsin Health Professions Loan Assistance Program
- This is a loan repayment program only, no scholarships.
- It is administered by the Wisconsin Office of Rural Health.
- For the most recent program information, eligibility, and application information, please contact Kevin Jacobson.
NURSE Corps Loan Repayment Program:
The federal NURSE Corps Loan Repayment Program is a competitive program that can repay up to 60% of the qualifying loan balance of registered nurses selected for funding in exchange for two years of service at a critical shortage facility. Participants may be eligible to work a third year and receive repayment of an additional 25% of the qualifying loan balance.
Clinicians cannot participate in more than one loan repayment program at the same time. They can, however, complete service to one program and then apply to another if they still have outstanding qualifying loans.