Applying for Supplemental Security Income

You must apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) at your Social Security office and must qualify for a federal SSI payment to receive the state SSI payment. The Social Security Office Locator enables you to locate the nearest Social Security office based on a ZIP code.

You can get more information about federal SSI, including how to apply, by going to the Social Security website or calling Social Security's toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. A service representative is available from 7 a.m.–7 p.m. on business days. Recorded information is available after 7 p.m., seven days a week. People who are hearing impaired may call the toll-free TTY number 1-800-325-0778 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on business days. 

Note: Telephone lines are busiest the first week of the month and early in the week.

If you receive SSI and have a question about your Medicaid (ForwardHealth) card, you should call Wisconsin's Member Services at 1-800-362-3002.

Last Revised: October 28, 2016