Healthcare-associated infections (HAIs)
NHSN is a national HAI database used by healthcare providers to report surveillance data using standardized definitions.
DPH encourages Wisconsin providers to use NHSN to enhance statewide surveillance. Aggregate state data are available in the DPH annual HAI report (PDF, 120 KB).
NHSN is also the HAI surveillance method used by federal public reporting programs.
Hospital-specific data are available on the Wisconsin Hospital Association (WHA) CheckPoint® and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Hospital Compare websites.
NHSN user resources
- NHSN - Tutorials
- NHSN Screenshot guides
- Hospital CRE surveillance memo (PDF)
- Long-term care CRE surveillance memo
- All SNFs Need to Use NHSN for CRE Reporting
- NHSN Enrollment - Weekly Messages to Help with the Process
- NHSN Enrollment Step 1 - Get Ready to Enroll
- NHSN Enrollment Step 2 - Begin Registration
- NHSN Enrollment Step 3 - SAMS Registration
- NHSN Enrollment Step 4 - Identity Verification
- NHSN Enrollment Step 5 - Submit NHSN Forms Electronically
- NHSN Enrollment Step 6 - Consent Form
- NHSN Enrollment - Facility Set-up
- NHSN Monthly CRE Data Entry
NHSN surveillance resources
- Hospital surveillance worksheets
- Long-term care surveillance worksheets
- LTCF rate Tracker Form F-01269 (Exce) The Long-term care facility (LTCF) rate tracker incorporates NHSN definitions for easy rate calculation and graphing.
Gwen Borlaug, Infection Control Epidemiologist
Wisconsin Division of Public Health
Bureau of Communicable Diseases