Healthcare-associated infections (HAIs)
NHSN is a national HAI database used by healthcare providers to report surveillance data using standardized definitions.
DPH encourages Wisconsin providers to use NHSN to enhance statewide surveillance. Aggregate state data are available in the DPH annual HAI report (PDF, 120 KB).
NHSN is also the HAI surveillance method used by federal public reporting programs.
Hospital-specific data are available on the Wisconsin Hospital Association (WHA) CheckPoint® and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Hospital Compare websites.
NHSN user resources
- NHSN - Tutorials
- NHSN Screenshot guides
NHSN surveillance resources
- Hospital surveillance worksheets
- Central line-associated bloodstream infections (CLASBSI) (PDF, 146 KB)
- Surgical site infections (SSI) (PDF, 87 KB)
- Urinary tract infections (UTI) (PDF, 152 KB)
- Laboratory - identified C. difficle (CDI) (PDF, 90 KB)
- Long-term care surveillance worksheets
- LTCF rate Tracker Form F-01269 (Excel, 51 KB) The Long-term care facility (LTCF) rate tracker incorporates NHSN definitions for easy rate calculation and graphing.
Gwen Borlaug, Infection Control Epidemiologist
Wisconsin Division of Public Health
Bureau of Communicable Diseases