Sexual violence is a verbal and/or physical act that breaks a person's trust and safety and is sexual in nature. Behaviors range from sexual harassment to unwanted fondling to forced penetration. All are done without consent. Sexual assault is defined in Wisconsin Statute 940.225 (Sexual Assault); 940.32 (Stalking); 948.02 -948.11 Sexual Assault of a Child; 940.302 Human trafficking.
Data in Wisconsin
- From 2006 to 2010, about 4,960 sexual assaults were reported annually to law enforcement.
- 90% of victims know the person who assaults them.
- Two-thirds of the victims of reported assaults are less than 15 years of age.
- Over four-fifths of victims are female.
- It is estimated that 1 in 7 (14%) Wisconsin women are raped during their lives (Kilpatrick, D.G, Ruggiero, K.J., 2003).
Nationally, only 39% of sexual assaults are reported to law enforcement (Shannan M. Catalano, 2005). In Wisconsin, that would mean an estimated annual incidence of sexual assault of 12,672, the population of Two Rivers, Wisconsin.
If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted,
go to the Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault website (www.wcasa.org)
to find the sexual assault agency nearest you.
- Forward Wisconsin: A Plan for the Prevention of Sexual Violence, 2010-2015, Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault
- Forward Wisconsin Initiative: A Shared Vision for Preventing Interpersonal Violence, Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault
- Adverse Childhood Experiences in Wisconsin: Findings from the 2010 Behavioral Risk Factor Survey, Wisconsin Children's Trust Fund
- Sexual Assault Crime Statistics, Office of Justice Assistance, Crime Statistics, Wisconsin Office of Justice Assistance
- National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey, 2010 Summary Report, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Sexual Violence Prevention Program
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center
- Prevent Connect
- Wisconsin Children's Trust Fund
- End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin: The Wisconsin Coalition Against Domestic Violence
Division of Public Health
P.O. Box 2659
Madison, WI 53701-2659