Katie Beckett Medicaid is a special eligibility pathway for children under 19 who have certain health care needs and live at home. Katie Beckett provides Medicaid health care coverage for children who qualify.
Steps to apply
Call 888-786-3246 to apply. You will speak to an eligibility specialist who can explain more about Katie Beckett Medicaid and help you apply. Needed documentation can be emailed to DHSKatieBeckett@dhs.wisconsin.gov or faxed to 608-226-5420.
An eligibility specialist will send you an application packet and set up a meeting with you to:
- Answer questions.
- Go over the application materials.
- Verify certain documents.
- Complete the Children’s Programs Eligibility and Functional Screen, a tool that gives the eligibility specialist a picture of the child’s daily life and determines functional eligibility.
This is the first part of the two-step eligibility process.
Next, a clinical team within the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) will review medical information to determine if the child meets the necessary eligibility criteria under the Social Security Act.
If the clinical team determines the child meets these eligibility standards, the child is approved for Katie Beckett Medicaid.
Once you’re enrolled
If you enroll in Katie Beckett Medicaid, your eligibility will be reviewed each year. We’ll also review your child’s eligibility if there is a significant change to your child’s condition.
Call ForwardHealth Member Services at 800-362-3002 to report:
- Problems getting a ForwardHealth Medicaid card.
- Changes to your child’s insurance.
Call the Katie Beckett Central Office at 888-786-3246 to report:
- Changes to your child’s address.
- Changes to your child’s medical condition.
- If your child is no longer living at home.