Wisconsin Certification Requirements for Lead-Based Paint Activities

The Lead and Asbestos Section in the Department of Health Services administers the certification (licensure) required to perform lead-based paint activities in Wisconsin.  Lead-based paint activities are regulated when conducted in pre-1978 housing or child-occupied facilities, and include: lead abatement and hazard reduction activities; lead investigations, including paint sampling and testing, dust wipe sampling, soil sampling, and lead clearance activities; and renovation, repair, and painting activities that disturb paint.

Regulated lead activities require both individual and company certifications.

Veterans License Fee Waiver Program - 2011 Wisconsin Act 209

If you are a veteran of the U.S. armed services you may qualify for a one-time fee waiver of your initial lead certification.  Visit www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/partners/act209.htm to learn more about the Fee Waiver Program and how to apply for a fee waiver voucher.  To be granted a fee waiver, submit your voucher eligibility code with your application.

Information on this page has been organized into two categories.  Please choose one of the following tabs.

Individual Certification

  • Lead Disciplines: The Lead Disciplines Table (P-00848, PDF, 47 KB) lists the lead (Pb) course(s), fees, and any state exam, prior education, or experience required for certification in each discipline.

  • Training: An individual must first complete accredited lead training before applying for certification.  Select Wisconsin Training Providers for the list of trainers.

  • Affiliation with a Certified Company: An individual conducting regulated lead work must work for or own a Wisconsin-certified Lead Company or Lead-Safe Company.  To apply for company certification, complete the Certification Application - Company (F-00171, PDF, 25 KB) .  

  • Application: After completing training for a lead discipline, the individual may apply for certification by one of these methods:

    • ONLINE, if paying by VISA or MasterCard credit or debit card,

    • Certification Application - Individual form (F-44003, PDF, 43 KB) , if paying by check or money order.  Download, complete, and submit with payment.

    • Out-of-State Applicants: Persons completing training in another state must apply using the Certification Application - Individual (F-44003, PDF, 43 KB) form and attach the following:

      • Notarized copy of the most recent training certificate for the discipline.

      • Copies of ALL previous training certificates for the discipline.

      • Clear color copy of an acceptable photo identification.

      • Clear color passport-style photo no smaller than 2x2 inches. The photo may be emailed to the Department at dhsasbestoslead@wi.gov in JPEG format only.  Please name the photo with the applicant's name and put applicant's name in the subject line of the email (ex. John Doe Photo - application sent separately by mail).

  • Certification Cards: Persons must have their Department-issued certification card at the job site when conducting regulated lead work.  Applications are processed as  quickly and efficiently as possible, but applicants are encouraged to submit applications immediately after completing training and to submit renewal applications at lease 30 days before the expiration date on the current card.

  • State Lead Exam: Individuals making initial application for Lead Abatement Supervisor, Inspector, Hazard Investigator, or Risk Assessor certification are required to take the state lead exam for the discipline.

    • Applicants must pass the appropriate exam with a score of at least 70% correct within six months of completing their qualifying training.  Persons who were not previously certified in the discipline are issued a 6-month Interim Certification card, allowing them to conduct regulated work while waiting to take and pass the exam.

    • A person who fails the exam may take it up to two additional times during the initial six-month period.  Each exam registration costs $50.

    • A person who does not pass the exam after three attempts, or within six months, whichever comes earlier, must retake the initial course for the discipline before again taking the exam.  This person would not  qualify for Interim Certification and would not be allowed to conduct regulated work until passing the exam and receiving a certification card.

    • An applicant currently certified in another state who passed the exam in that state may provide proof of certification in that state and of passing that state's exam in lieu of taking the Wisconsin exam.

    • Persons who have passed the exam in Wisconsin but whose certification has been expired for more than 12 months are required to retake the state exam prior to qualifying for recertification.  Persons may also be required to retake the initial course if they did not maintain their refresher training requirements.

    Exam Registration

    Exam Schedule and Locations

    Exam Study Guides: Topics covered on the exams are available for the Supervisor, Inspector, Hazard Investigator, and Risk Assessor exams.

Company Certification

Company certification is required before performing or offering to perform regulated lead (Pb) activities.

  • Company Types:  There are two classifications of lead companies:

  1. Lead Company - With properly certified persons, may offer and conduct lead abatement activities, lead-safe renovation activities, or lead investigation activities that include lead inspections, risk assessments, and clearances.

  2. Lead-Safe Company - With properly certified persons, may offer and conduct renovation activities on pre-1978 residential and child-occupied facilities.

  • Certified Individual Affiliated with Company: A certified company must employ or contract with appropriately certified individuals before performing or offering to perform regulated lead activities, including lead abatement activities, lead investigation activities, and lead-safe renovation activities.

  • Application: Company applications may be made by one of these methods:

    • ONLINE, if paying by VISA or MasterCard credit or debit card.

    • Certification Application - Company (F-00171, PDF, 43 KB) form, if paying by check or money order.  Download, complete, and submit with payment.

  • Company Lists Available to the Public: The Department makes available to the general public on its website directories of certified companies that conduct regulated lead work.  The directories include:

    • Lead Abatement Contractor Directory - Must employ a certified lead abatement supervisor.

    • Lead Consultant Directory - Must employ a certified lead inspector, lead hazard investigator, or lead risk assessor.

    • Lead-Safe Renovation Company Directory - Must employ a certified lead-safe renovator, lead abatement worker, or lead abatement supervisor.

A certified company may opt to be listed in one or more of these directories by checking the appropriate box or boxes under the "Public Directories" section of the company application form.

Home Page - Lead-Safe Wisconsin

Last Revised: August 26, 2016