The Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene (WSLH) is capable of receiving electronic reportable lab results on behalf of Wisconsin's Division of Public Health. Any hospital that wants to satisfy the Meaningful Use objective for reportable lab results data submission has to conform to the HL7 2.5.1 standard and LOINC V2.27. The technology used by the hospital to generate the reportable lab result HL7 2.5.1 message has to be a federally certified 2014 Edition EHR technology for this objective.
DPH has limited resource capacity to test with new hospitals. DPH is prioritizing reportable lab results testing to hospitals that have at least 25 lab results per month. It is unlikely that testing will begin in 2015 for hospitals that have fewer than 25 lab results per month.
Hospitals can meet the reportable lab results objective even if they do not begin testing during their EHR reporting period as long as they register with DPH within 60 days of their reporting period, are responsive to DPH communications, and have a federally certified 2014 Edition EHR technology certified for reportable lab results data submission.
If you would like to submit HL7 2.5.1 reportable lab results using your certified EHR technology, please visit the PHREDS registration FAQ page. To register, you will need the following information:
- Organization name
- Primary technical contact information (phone number and email address)
- Primary Meaningful Use contact information, if applicable (phone number and email address)
- Primary address
- Meaningful Use stage and year, if applicable
- EHR vendor name
- EHR product name and version of product
- Is your hospital capable of submitting reportable lab results that conform to the HL7 2.5.1 standard?
- Is your hospital capable of submitting reportable lab results that conform to the LOINC V2.27 standard?
- An estimate of the quantity of reportable lab results identified or suspected each month.
For providers onboarding to meet Meaningful Use, the Reportable Lab Results and other program areas will not begin the onboarding process until you register.
Use this onboarding checklist for electronic reportable lab results (PDF, 104 KB) to learn how to submit data electronically.
If you have questions concerning the registration process, please email eHealth@wisconsin.gov.
If you have questions concerning the technical onboarding process for Reportable Lab Results, please email ELR@wisconsin.gov.
PDF: The free Adobe Reader® software is needed to view and print portable document format (PDF) files. Learn more.