This is the onboarding page for reportable lab results. Onboarding refers to the testing and validation process that providers and public health programs engage in prior to ongoing submission of data from certified electronic health record (EHR) technology (CEHRT). This page contains information on the Division of Public Health (DPH) electronic submission of reportable laboratory results, including:
- Technical capacity to receive data
- Resource/administrative capacity and queue prioritization
- Information required to register with the program
- Detailed onboarding checklist
Technical Capacity and Specifications
The Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene (WSLH) is technically capable of receiving electronic HL7 2.5.1 reportable lab results from hospitals on behalf of DPH.
Any eligible hospital wanting to satisfy the public health reporting measure for reportable lab results data submission has to conform to the HL7 2.5.1 standard and LOINC V2.27. The technology used by the hospital to generate the reportable lab result HL7 2.5.1 message has to be a federally certified 2014 Edition EHR technology for this measure.
Resource Capacity and Prioritization
DPH has limited resource capacity to test with new hospitals for reportable lab results. DPH is prioritizing reportable lab results testing to hospitals having at least 25 lab results per month. It is unlikely testing will begin in 2016 for hospitals having fewer than 25 lab results per month.
Hospitals can meet the reportable lab results measure even if they do not begin testing during their EHR reporting period as long as they register with DPH no later than 60 days after the start of their reporting period, are responsive to DPH communications, and have a federally certified 2014 Edition EHR technology certified for reportable lab results data submission.
Information Required to Register
To register, you will need the following information:
- Organization name
- Primary technical contact information (phone number and email address)
- Primary Meaningful Use contact information (phone number and email address), if applicable
- Primary address
- Meaningful Use stage and year, if applicable
- EHR vendor name
- EHR product name and version of product
- Whether your hospital is capable of submitting reportable lab results that conform to the HL7 2.5.1 standard
- Whether your hospital is capable of submitting reportable lab results that conform to the LOINC V2.27 standard
- An estimate of the quantity of reportable lab results identified or suspected each month.
For providers intending to meet Meaningful Use, the Reportable Lab Results program will not begin the onboarding process until you register.
If you would like to register to submit HL7 2.5.1 reportable lab results using your CEHRT please visit the PHREDS Enrollment and Registration of Intent page.
To learn about the technical onboarding protocols for submitting electronic reportable lab results from your CEHRT, use the onboarding checklist for electronic reportable lab results, P-00553B (PDF).
If you have questions concerning the registration process, email the Wisconsin eHealth Program.
If you have questions concerning the technical onboarding process for Reportable Lab Results, email the Electronic Lab Reporting team.