The Wisconsin Division of Public Health (DPH) has an immunization registry, the Wisconsin Immunization Registry (WIR), which is technically capable of receiving electronic immunization data from providers and hospitals in HL7 version 2.3.1, 2.4 and 2.5.1 message formats. Providers presently have two options to submit immunization data to public health. Providers can send their immunization data directly to WIR. Alternatively, providers participating in the Wisconsin Statewide Health Information Network (WISHIN) have the option to electronically test and send immunization data to WIR via WISHIN using a secure VPN HL7 interface.
Regardless of which transmission path is used, any provider that wants to satisfy the Meaningful Use objective for immunization data submission has to conform to the HL7 2.5.1 standards and submit data from technology that is certified to the current federal standards for immunization data submission to public health.
If you would like to submit immunization data using certified EHR technology, please visit the PHREDS registration FAQ page. To register, you will need the following information:
- Organization name
- Primary technical contact information (phone number and email address)
- Primary Meaningful Use contact information, if applicable (phone number and email address)
- Primary address
- Meaningful Use stage and year, if applicable
- EHR vendor name
- EHR product name and version of product
- HL7 format (specify):
- 2.3.1 (Stage 1 Meaningful Use only through 2013)
- Technical specifications (PDF, 382 KB)
- 2.4 (Stage 1 Meaningful Use only through 2013)
- Technical specifications (PDF, 610 KB)
- 2.5.1 (Stage 1 and Stage 2 Meaningful Use)
- Technical specifications (PDF, 575 KB)
9. Submission option (WISHIN or direct to WIR)
For providers onboarding to meet Meaningful Use, the immunization program and other program areas will not begin the onboarding process until you register.
Use this onboarding checklist for immunization data (PDF, 113 KB) to learn how to submit data electronically.
If you have questions concerning the registration process, please email eHealth@wisconsin.gov.
If you have questions concerning the technical onboarding process for immunizations, please email the Wisconsin Immunization Registry (WIR) at email@example.com.
PDF: The free Adobe Reader® software is needed to view and print portable document format (PDF) files. Learn more.