Wisconsin Conrad 30 Waiver Program: Frequently Asked Questions

Below you will find answers to frequently asked questions about the Wisconsin Conrad 30 Waiver Program. Contact the Primary Care Program for other questions, or more information regarding this program.

Does your state have an application filing deadline?

Wisconsin does not have a deadline. We accept applications on a first come basis until all 30 slots are filled.

Does your state have an application filing fee?

We currently do not have a filing fee for the Conrad 30 Waiver Program application process.

Does your state accept specialists?

Yes. Within the application, employers should be sure to address the exceptional need and public interest for the specialist physician in that area.

Certain subspecialties relating to a Wisconsin public health advisory on a crisis will be considered for the Wisconsin Conrad 30 Program. For example, in 2016, Wisconsin issued a public health advisory on the opioid crisis. Pathologist, medical examiners, and other subspecialties related to the opioid crisis are now being considered for a recommendation after the public health advisory announcement. USCIS will make a final determination on whether to approve the waiver application.

How many non-HPSA (flex) spots do you have?

We will consider making up to 10 recommendations in non-HPSA areas per year.

What are the requirements for your flex spots?

Flex spots may be filled by primary care or specialist physicians. In order to be recommended for a non-HPSA placement at least 30% of the physician's primary care or specialty patients must come from surrounding HPSA or MUA/P areas. or meet the required extenuating criteria (see Flex Placement Criteria)

What qualifies as proof that 30% of patients come from surrounding shortage areas?

There are a number of ways to meet this requirement. One example is to run reports of patient address data (focusing on city, county, and/or zip code) and checking to see if those locations are in shortage areas. A list of zip codes with centroids within underserved areas, HPSA, MUA, and MUP, can be provided upon request. To discuss other ways to meet this requirement, please contact us.

How can I find out if a potential worksite is in a HPSA or MUA/P area?

Type in the physical address of the employment location here http://datawarehouse.hrsa.gov/GeoAdvisor/ShortageDesignationAdvisor.aspx.  The result will let you know if the area is an eligible primary care or mental health HPSA. Primary care and specialist physicians must be placed in primary care HPSAs or MUA/Ps and psychiatrists must be placed in mental health HPSAs.

What if the HPSA area is listed as "proposed for withdrawal?" Is this an eligible area for placement?

Yes, we will consider making recommendations in HPSAs of all status, including proposed for withdrawal.  HPSAs which have been officially withdrawn in a Federal Register Notice are no longer recognized as designated or eligible shortage areas.

Will you provide a National Interest Waiver (NIW) letter of support even if the clinician's J-1 waiver obligation was completed in another state?

Yes, as long as the physician meets all requirements. Please check here for our requirements in providing a NIW letter: http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/health/primarycare/J-1Visa/state-letters.htm

Do you only consider clinicians that have completed a U.S. residency program, or will you also consider clinicians that have completed a U.S. Fellowship?

We will consider clinicians that have completed a U.S. residency or fellowship. The type of job the clinician accepts must match the U.S. training received.

Last Revised: March 8, 2021