Winnebago Mental Health Institute is one of two psychiatric hospitals operated by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services. Accredited by The Joint Commission, it has been the "safety net in Wisconsin's mental health continuum" since 1873.
Health Care for Today, Hope for Tomorrow
On behalf of the staff at Winnebago Mental Health Institute, I welcome you to our website. Winnebago Mental Health Institute provides recovery-oriented treatment to Wisconsin residents of all ages living with challenging behaviors and complex psychiatric conditions. All of our patients are referred to our care by county health and human service agencies or the court system. The staff at Winnebago Mental Health Institute are dedicated, compassionate professionals. I am proud to work with them to protect and promote the mental health of our patients. Thank you for visiting our website.
Thomas Speech, Ph.D.
The safety net in Wisconsin's mental health care continuum.
We strive for a high degree of customer satisfaction in an injury-free environment.
- Dignity and respect: We promote a culture of dignity and respect.
- Consumer-oriented treatment: We promote the involvement of consumers, their family, and their community as integral parts of the consumer’s treatment and preparation for his/her return to the community, always moving towards the least restrictive setting possible.
- Health and wellness: We promote health and learning about healthy behaviors, including being physically active, understanding and following good nutritional standards, and learning healthy coping skills.
- Trauma-informed care: We promote trauma-informed treatment and management, including awareness of the impact of trauma on individuals subjected to it, and utilizes awareness of an individual’s particular trauma history in the development of his or her treatment plan. Safety for all is a basis for trauma-informed care.
- Cultural competence: We promote a culture that recognizes and is responsive to individual differences in age, gender, spiritual beliefs, language preference, communication needs, physical and mental limitations, cultural and ethnic background, and sexual identity/expression.
- Customer-focused operations: We promote involvement of staff and other stakeholders in decisions as a means of achieving our goals.
- Quality Improvement: We promote continuous quality improvement in a safe, caring and professional environment.
Post Office Mailing Address
Winnebago Mental Health Institute
P.O. Box 9
Winnebago, WI 54985
Please use these addresses to map your route to WMHI: