Presentations are held as Zoom webinars on Thursdays from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Central time. Up to 500 people are able to join live online or by phone.
- January through August: Presentations occurred on the second and fourth Thursday of each month.
- September through December: Presentations will occur on the second Thursday of each month.
Information about each 2023 presentation is shared below when the topic and presenter are confirmed. The materials for each presentation are posted by the Monday before the presentation. A link to the evaluation survey is posted when the materials are posted. The evaluation survey opens at 11:59 a.m. the day of the presentation. A link to the video recording of the presentation is posted within four business days of the presentation.
A continuing education hour is available to people who participate in the live presentation or view the recording and complete the online evaluation within two weeks of the live event.
An ASL interpreter is present for each live presentation. Auto-transcription, provided by Zoom, is enabled for presentations. People needing other accommodations to participate, including a live captionist or other language interpreter or translator, should contact Theresa Kuehl at least five business days prior to the presentation.
How to join the Zoom webinar
- Online: https://dhswi.zoomgov.com/j/1606358142
- Phone: 669-254-5252
- Enter the Webinar ID: 160 635 8142#.
- Press # again to join. (There is no participant ID.)
Reminders for participants
- Join online or by phone by 11 a.m. Central and wait for the host to start the webinar. Your camera and audio/microphone are disabled.
- Download or view the presentation materials below. The evaluation survey opens at 11:59 a.m. the day of the presentation.
- Ask questions to the presenter(s) in the Zoom Q&A window. Each presenter will decide when to address questions. People who join by phone cannot ask questions.
- Use Zoom chat to communicate with the host.
January 12: Culturally-Sensitive Approaches to Attachment Work with Families and Individuals
January 26: Power and Control: Recognizing Power Dynamics
February 9: Crisis Services: Prevention, Intervention, and De-Escalation
February 23: Trauma-Informed Care: It's All About Connection
March 9: Working with an Angry Client
March 23: Madison's Community Alternative Response Emergency Services (CARES): A non-law enforcement behavioral health crisis response
April 13: Advance Care Planning - You Can Have a Say in Your Care
- Presenter: Parini Tolat, LCSW, and John Kenneally, LCSW
- April 13, 2023, Presentation (PDF)
- April 13, 2023, Recording
April 27: Doing Supportive Psychotherapy
May 11: Peers: Who are they? Why do peer services work?
May 25: Everybody Dies and Everybody Grieves: Why Death and Grief Education is Important for Behavioral Health
June 8: Becoming Desensitized to Overdoses as Helping Professionals
- Presenter: Andrew J Schreier, MA, ICS, CSAC, LPC, ICGC-I
- June 8, 2023, Presentation (PDF)
- June 8, 2023, Recording
June 22: Opioid Use Disorder: Diagnosis and Treatment
- Presenter: Elizabeth Salisbury-Afshar, MD, MPH
- June 22, 2023, Presentation (PDF)
- June 22, 2023, Recording
July 13: Foundations of CBT
- Presenter: Caroline Crehan Neumann, MSW, APSW
- July 13, 2023, Presentation (PDF)
- July 13, 2023, Recording
July 27: Creating Effective Wellness and Crisis Plans: Lessons from Peer Support
August 10: Exploring the Wisconsin Long Term Care Landscape: An Update on Resource Needs, Access, and Barriers for Aging Individuals with Mental Illness
- Presenter: Alicia Towne Ellison, DNP, APRN, PMHNP-BC
- August 10, 2023, Presentation (PDF)
- August 10, 2023, Recording
August 24: Supporting Justice Involved Veterans (JIV) and Connecting Veterans to the Appropriate Care, Services and Resources
September 14: Challenges that Face Postpartum Persons with Substance Use Disorders
October 12: Trauma in Children and Adolescents
November 9: Assessing Risk in People Who Are Chronically Suicidal
- Presenter: Ron Diamond, MD
- November 9, 2023, Presentation
- November 9, 2023, Evaluation
- November 9, 2023, Recording
Nancy Pierce's presentation, "What To Do at the Workplace When a Client Dies by Suicide", was originally scheduled for this date. She asked to reschedule for 2024.
December 14: Belonging: A Look at the Basic Human Need
- Presenter: Angie Theisen, LCSW