Asthma-Safe Homes Program: Overview for Property Owners
Learn more about the role of property owners who have tenants participating in the Asthma-Safe Homes Program.
As the owner of a single-family or multi-family rental property, there are many benefits to you and to your tenants for participating in Asthma-Safe Homes Program.
Property owner benefits
- Free, detailed healthy home assessment and summary report of recommended repairs
- Home repairs and improvements up to $5,000 completed by insured contractors at no cost to you
- Increased energy efficiency of your property (depending on the type of repair)
- Marketing edge that makes it easier to rent your property in the future
- Healthy tenants who miss fewer days of work and are better able to stay current on rent payments
- Healthier and safer home environment with no asthma triggers
- Energy efficiency and weatherization repairs can save tenants money on utility bills.
- Better controlled asthma that leads to fewer health care visits and costs, and fewer missed days of school or work
- Better quality of life with less suffering
What to expect
If you have a tenant participating in the Asthma-Safe Homes Program's home repair services, you can expect to:
- Receive a phone call from the Asthma-Safe Homes Program service provider in your area to schedule a meeting with you and your tenant. At that time you will review the home assessment report for your unit or property and a scope of work for proposed services.
- Provide input and approve the scope of work by signing approval document and work contracts.
- Receive communication from the Asthma-Safe Homes Program service provider and contractor(s) regarding scheduling and completion of the work.
Healthy homes resources
Check out these additional resources to learn more about creating healthy, asthma-friendly housing.
- Healthy Homes: Keep Your Home Safe and Healthy
- Green and Health Homes Initiative
- A Healthy Homes Checklist
- A Healthy Home for Everyone: The Guide for Families and Individuals
- The Principles of a Healthy Home
Questions? E-mail the Asthma-Safe Homes Program for more information or call 608-266-1112.