FoodShare Wisconsin - A Recipe for Good Health



As a result of the federal government shutdown, many FoodShare members received February benefits early on January 20, 2019. Members who received an early issuance of February benefits will not receive an additional issuance during February, but QUEST cards will continue to work in February. Please budget and plan accordingly.

Note: There is a false message on social media telling members they must use their FoodShare benefits immediately. This is not true. 

March FoodShare benefits will be issued on March 1. Any letters you may have received about your benefits, dated between January 19, 2019 and February 4, 2019, will indicate that your household will receive a $0 March FoodShare benefit due to the federal government shutdown. That is not correct. You will receive March benefits and get a new letter indicating the correct benefit amount.

Programs like BadgerCare Plus, Medicaid, SeniorCare, Wisconsin Works (W-2), and Wisconsin Shares Child Care Subsidy were not impacted by the shutdown. Other programs including WIC (Women, Infants and Children) program, The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP), and the Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) remain available, despite the federal government shutdown.

The Department of Health Services is committed to minimizing the impact of the federal government shutdown on our program members and will continue providing updates as more information becomes available. We believe it is critical that we provide information to program participants, key partners, and other stakeholders timely and transparently.

Members and applicants who have questions about FoodShare should contact their agency.

Email sent to individuals who have an email address in CARES on February 13, 2019.
Email sent to individuals who have an email address in CARES on January 16, 2019.

Stakeholder Information

Please email any stakeholder questions to


Program Overview

FoodShare Wisconsin was created to help stop hunger and to improve nutrition and health. FoodShare helps people with limited money buy the food they need for good health.

Each month, people across Wisconsin get help from FoodShare. They are people of all ages who have a job but have low incomes, are living on small or fixed income, have lost their job, and are retired or disabled and not able to work.

To learn more about FoodShare Wisconsin and how to apply, visit How To Get FoodShare Benefits. You can also visit ACCESS, an online tool to:

For current FoodShare income limits, visit FoodShare Monthly Income Limits.

Other Information

Be Aware of Phone Scams

If you are getting health care benefits, DHS will not call you seeking personal or financial information. If you are getting FoodShare benefits, your agency will call you to complete a FoodShare interview and may ask you to verify certain information to ensure they are talking with the correct person. If you are unsure of who you are talking to, hang up, and call your agency or Member Services at 1-800-362-3002.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, advises consumers not to give out personal or financial information to people you do not know through phone calls, emails, or knocks on your door. Scam artists want your information to commit identity theft, charge your existing credit cards, debit your checking account, open a new credit card, checking, or savings account, write fraudulent checks, or take out loans in your name.

To file a complaint with the FTC, go to their website, or call 1-877-FTC-HELP. If you think your identity has been stolen, report it on the FTC’s website, or call 1-877-ID-THEFT.

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call 866-632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
  2. fax: 202-690-7442; or
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Last Revised: February 19, 2019