If you served in the U.S. military, you may have certain health insurance benefits. The best place to start is the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. They can help you learn more about your options.
Veterans health insurance options
We’ve outlined some of the main health insurance plans and support for veterans:
- TRICARE—A health plan through the U.S. Department of Defense. Serves these groups all over the world:
- Uniformed service members
- Service members who’ve retired
- Service member families
- CHAMPVA—A health plan through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Serves dependents of veterans who don’t qualify for TRICARE. It’s also for spouses, widows, and kids of veterans who have been killed or disabled due to service while on active duty.
- Health Care Aid and Subsistence Aid Grant Programs—Grants through the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs. Provides some financial aid to those in need who have used all other sources of aid. Veterans can use funds for health care and basic life needs within the grant limits.
- Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs Veterans Homes—A state program where veterans and some dependents live in one of three long-term care facilities.