Surgical site infections (SSIs) are infections that occur after surgery, in the area of the body where the procedure took place. SSIs are currently the most frequently reported serious healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) among Wisconsin hospitals.
Many hospitals and quality improvement organizations are working together to reduce these infections. The Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that implementing evidence-based strategies can prevent approximately 50% of SSIs.
The Division of Public Health (DPH) provides frequently updated SSI data to monitor statewide progress toward SSI reduction.
Please visit our HAI data page for more information.
SSI Prevention Resources
- CDC Guidelines for the Prevention of Surgical Site Infection, 2017: Updated evidence-based recommendations for the prevention of SSIs.
- Division of Public Health Supplemental Guidance for the Prevention of Surgical Site Infections, P-01715 (PDF): Evidence-based guidelines that supplement the national SSI prevention guidance.
- Improving Patients Outcomes through an Evidence-Based Pathway (PDF): A presentation by Charles Edmiston, Jr. reviewing evidence-based recommendations for reducing SSI risk.
- Standardization of the Chlorhexidine Gluconate (CHG) Preadmission Shower, P-00749 (PDF): One-page card with standardized, evidence-based steps for preadmission CHG showers.
SSI Summit Presentations
- Colorectal SSI Prevention Takes a Team (PDF): A presentation by Maggie Braun, Carrie Johnson, and Gregory Van Winkle.
- Enhanced Recovery after Colon and Rectal Surgery (PDF): A presentation by Marc Singer.
- How to Inaugurate Change to Advance SSI Reduction (PDF): A presentation by Russ Nassof.
- Microbial Aerosols as a Surgical Infection Risk Factor (PDF): A presentation by Charles Edmiston.
- Partnership for Quality Outcomes: A Patient's Journey (PDF): A presentation by Lynn Hartzel and Lisa Schenker.
- No (Wo)man is an Island: Culture, Teams, and Communication (PDF): A presentation by Caprice Greenberg.
- Preventing SSIs in Wisconsin: How Are We Doing? (PDF): A presentation by Gwen Borlaug.
- Reducing the Risk of SSIs: NSQIP as a Pathway to Improving Patient Outcomes (PDF): A presentation by Michael Roskos.
- Reducing the Risk of SSI Using a Collaborative, Evidence Based Process (PDF): A presentation by Darrell Campbell.
- You Have the SSI Guidelines, Now What? Putting the Guidelines into Action (PDF): A presentation by Karissa Singleton.
- A 7-Step Bundle to Prevent SSIs (PDF): A presentation by Maureen Spencer.
- Discussion of the Wisconsin SSI Prevention Guidance (PDF): A presentation by Charles Edmiston.
- Options in Post-Operative Care (PDF): A presentation by William Ennis.
- SSIs in Wisconsin: How Are We Doing? (PDF): A presentation by Gwen Borlaug.
- The Role of the Surgical Champion (PDF): A presentation by Gary Seabrook.
Questions about HAIs? Contact us!
Phone: 608-267-7711 | Fax: 608-266-0049