To support economic prosperity and quality of life, the Department of Health Services exercises multiple roles in the protection and promotion of the health and safety of the people of Wisconsin.
OUR GUIDING PRINCIPLES
The Department of Health Services has a vital mission that touches the lives of all Wisconsinites. Our collective path to success in meeting our mission lies in always acting true to our shared conviction We are all in this together.
The following principles guide our actions as we collectively strive to fulfill our mission:
- We serve the citizens of Wisconsin by being effective stewards of the resources with which they have entrusted us.
- We recognize health care costs are not sustainable at current levels.
- We need new models for care delivery, regulation development, prevention strategies, risk sharing and purchasing.
- We believe that competition, choice, and transparency are critical elements to these emerging models if we are to increase the value of health care to our citizens.
- We must, in this transition, enhance the role of our citizens as primary stakeholders in managing their health and associated costs.
- We will align resources to achieve positive outcomes and hold ourselves accountable for achieving results.
- We will provide support systems to help vulnerable people lead fulfilling, self-directed, healthy lives that promote independence, while recognizing the value of and utilizing supports from families and the community.
- We will work to eliminate cost shifting to the private sector and among different systems (acute, mental health, long-term care). Public programs shall complement rather than compete against the private market.
- We will promote quality health care delivery, protect the interests of citizens receiving services, and develop policies to reflect evidence-based standards of practice that promote optimal health.
- We will promote development of information, assistance and care provision systems that help citizens obtain quality support and care in a least restrictive setting and at an appropriate cost, consistent with need and available resources.
- We will promote collaboration in pursuit of innovation, increased value and improved outcomes for the benefit of all our citizens.