The guidelines and prevention resources listed below are provided for nutrition and physical activity partners and professionals in healthcare settings to use in the course of their work. For more resources related to health care settings, please see the Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity: Health Care Resources page.
- Adult: Clinical Guidelines for Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obese Adults - from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
- American Medical Association (AMA) - Public Health: Position on Obesity
- Blood Pressure Guidelines for Youth - Screening for Hypertension
- BMI Calculator for Children - Automatically figures and plots BMI for children
- Clinical Guidelines for Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obese Adults was developed by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. It includes the first Federal guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity
- Health Plans Emerging as Pragmatic Partners in Fight Against Obesity (PDF, 712 KB) - A National Institute for Health Care Management (NIHCM) Foundation report that focuses on the emerging role of health plans in the fight against obesity. The report profiles a cross section of 11 health plans and what they are doing to address the issue.
- Assessment and Management of Adult Obesity consists of 10 booklets developed by the American Medical Association, that offer practical recommendations for addressing adult obesity in the primary care setting.
- Practical Guidelines - The Bright Futures website contains practical guidelines for healthcare professionals including mental health, nutrition, and physical activity for children and adolescents (0-21 years old).
- Aim to Change Toolkit - A free toolkit from the American Academy of Family Physicians with resources for physicians and patients.
- Adult: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force - Screening for and management of obesity in adults: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement.
- BMI-for-Age Growth charts - From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Children and Adolescents: Prevention - Recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Pediatric Recommendations (PDF, 220 KB) - Expert Committee Recommendations on the Assessment, Prevention, and Treatment of Child and Adolescent Overweight and Obesity. The committee was convened by the American Medical Association (AMA) and co-funded in collaboration with the Department of Health and Human Services' Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Related documents: Full Report (PDF, 1.2 MB) ).
- Nutrition and Physical Activity Assessment tools
- REAP tool: Rapid Eating Assessment for Patients is a brief (about 10 minutes) patient-administered tool to provide a nutrition assessment. The REAP tool (PDF, 77 KB) and REAP Physician Key (PDF, 1.2 MB) are available.
- WAVE tool (PDF, 94 KB) - WAVE (Weight, Activity, Variety, Excess) is a brief tool to identify weight, nutrition, and physical activity issues in adult patients.
- Nutrition Recommendations: US Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010
- Physical Activity Recommendations - General recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.