The Wisconsin Healthcare-Associated Infections (HAIs) in Long-Term Care Coalition is a collaborative effort to reduce and eliminate HAIs among long-term care residents. Below is information from infection prevention and control educational events presented or sponsored by the Wisconsin HAIs in Long-Term Care Coalition.
- Surveillance Workshops held at multiple locations during May - October 2014
- Two-day Conference held in September 2013
Based on the results of the evaluations of the Wisconsin HAIs in Long-Term Care Coalition’s two-day infection prevention and control conference held in September 2013, conference participants indicated they needed additional training regarding how to conduct surveillance based on current standards of practice. Based on this feedback, the Wisconsin HAIs in Long-Term Care Coalition, along with the WI Regional Director of Nursing Groups and the WI Director of Nursing (DON) Council, hosted nine Surveillance Workshops around the State.
Workshop attendees learned how to:
- Conduct systematic surveillance for targeted HAIs using standardized LTC case definitions.
- Use surveillance data to track HAI rates and monitor progress toward reduction of HAI incidence.
Registration was limited to 50 attendees per workshop, and there was no registration fee to attend. Each nursing home was limited to one or two staff attending using the following criteria:
- One person from each nursing home if he/she was the Director of Nursing who ALSO oversees infection prevention and surveillance.
- Two persons from each nursing home if there was an Infection Preventionist responsible for surveillance, then this person and the Director of Nursing attended together with separate registrations.
Nine Surveillance workshops were held between May and October 2014 in the following locations:
- Eau Claire
- Green Bay
- La Crosse
Three hundred sixteen individuals attended the four hour workshops.
- Overview of CMS §483.65 (F441) Infection Control Surveillance Requirements (PDF, 184 KB)
- Surveillance in Long Term Care Facilities: Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) and Multi-Resistant Organisms (MDRO) (PDF, 174 KB)
- UTI Worksheet (PDF, 80 KB)
- UTI Case Studies (PDF, 91 KB)
- MDRO/CDI Worksheet (PDF, 177 KB)
- MDRO Case Studies (PDF, 81 KB)
- LTC Rate Tracker (Excel, 64 KB)
On September 19-20, 2013, the Wisconsin Department of Health Services and the Wisconsin Healthcare-Associated Infections (HAIs) in Long-Term Care (LTC) Coalition held a two-day educational conference for Infection Preventionists working in Wisconsin Nursing Homes. Based on the results of the Long-Term Care Baseline Prevention Practices Assessment Online Survey, the conference addressed the three most common areas of need for training to include: surveillance, antibiotic stewardship and outbreak identification and management.
Listed below are the presentations/sessions that were provided during the WI HAI in LTC Coalition Infection Prevention and Control Conference. The table identifies session titles and speaker handouts. Select a session title to access the associated webcast.
|8:30 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.||Welcome|
|8:45 a.m. - 9:15 a.m.||Overview of CMS F441 Infection Control Surveillance Requirements (no webcast available)||Speaker Slides (PDF, 311 KB)|
|9:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.||Surveillance for Healthcare-Associated Infections Among Long-Term Care Facilities: The Basics||Speaker Slides (PDF, 249 KB)|
|10:45 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.||Developing a Surveillance Plan||Speaker Slides (PDF, 249 KB)
Infection Risk Mitigation Plan (PDF, 78 KB)
Hazard & Vulnerability Assessment Tool (PDF, 75 KB)
|11:15 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.||Overview of the National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN)||Speaker Slides (PDF, 239 KB)
NHSN Enrollment and Set-up Checklist for LTC Facilities (PDF, 112 KB)
|1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.||NHSN: Urinary Tract Infection Event Reporting||Speaker Slides (PDF, 1.6 MB)
UTI worksheets (PDF, 80 KB)
|2:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.||UTI Case Studies for LTC Facilities||Speaker Slides (PDF, 42 KB)|
|2:45 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.||NHSN: Lab ID Event MDRO and C-diff||Speaker Slides (PDF, 1.7 MB)|
|3:45 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.||MDRO/CDI Case Studies for LTC Facilities||Speaker Slides (PDF, 87 KB)
Lab Event ID C. difficile & MDRO Worksheet (PDF, 177 KB)
|4:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.||Wrap-Up|
Return to the Wisconsin Healthcare-Associated Infections (HAIs) in Long-Term Care Coalition Home page.