Unlicensed personnel are required to meet specific requirements to be able to administer medications to Wisconsin nursing home residents. Listed below is information about medication aide requirements and information for instructors of medication aide programs.
The following regulations allow unlicensed personnel to administer medications to nursing home residents if they have taken a Department of Health Services approved medication administration program:
- 42 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 483.60
- Wisconsin Administrative Code DHS 132.60(5)(d)1
Medication Aide Courses and Requirements
For currently approved medication administration programs, refer to Approved Nursing Home Medication Aide Courses (PDF, 40 KB).
For detailed information about each program please contact the individual listings. Each program will have information regarding the times it is offered, the schedule, the cost, and how to enroll.
Individuals who are eligible to take the program and become a medication aide must meet the following requirements:
- be at least 18 years of age,
- have a high school diploma or high school equivalency diploma,
- be current on the State of Wisconsin nurse aide directory,
- be current on the federal nurse aide directory,
- have at least 2000 hours experience in direct patient care within the last 3 years,
- have worked a minimum of 40 hours, within the last 90 days, with the residents to whom the student will be administering medications,
- be recommended in writing by the director of nursing and the administrator of the agency in which the student will be working during the clinical experience, and
- be recommended in writing by 2 licensed charge nurses under whose licenses the aide will be administering medications.
Some individuals may have training and experience that may exempt them from medication aide training. Examples of potential exemptions include:
- Nursing students.
- Graduate nurses who do not hold a license.
- Nurse aides who have been medication aides in nursing homes in other states.
Individuals who wish to be a medication aide for nursing homes and may meet a training exemption should review and complete the Challenge Exam Application.
- Challenge Exam Application Nurse Aide / Medication Aide F62586 (Word, 56 KB)
- Sample cover letter sent with application (PDF, 20 KB).
If the medication training that was received is equivalent to the medication aide training course, individuals may be exempt from the training course and will be required to take only a written exam.
The following are links to other information about medication aides in Wisconsin.
- DHS 129 (PDF, 180 KB)
Medication Aide Instructor Information
Below is information about course content and other information that instructors may find helpful.
- Contact Doug Englebert at 608-266-5388 for a copies of required Medication Aide Instructor forms.
- Criteria for State Approved Medication Aide Course (PDF, 17 KB)
- Instructor Questions and Answers
If you have further questions about medication aides in Wisconsin Nursing Homes please email Doug Englebert or call 608-266-5388.