Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

SSI: Other Help You Can Get

If you get Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you can also get help from your state or county. For example, you can get health care, FoodShare, and other services.


People who get SSI usually can get FoodShare, too. If everyone in your house is signing up for SSI or getting SSI, the Social Security office will help you fill out the FoodShare application.

If you don't live in a house where everyone is signing up for SSI or getting SSI, you will have to sign up for FoodShare at your local county or tribal human or social services departments. For more information about FoodShare, contact any Social Security office to ask for the leaflet, Supplement Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Other Nutrition Programs (Publication No. 05-10100) (PDF) or learn more about the FoodShare program.


People who are eligible for SSI also receive Medicaid in Wisconsin. Medicaid helps pay your doctor and hospital bills. To learn more, visit the Wisconsin Medicaid website or contact your local agency.

Help For Low-Income Medicare Beneficiaries

If you get Medicare and have low income and few resources, the state may pay your Medicare premiums and, in some cases, other Medicare expenses such as deductibles and coinsurance.

Only the state can decide if you qualify. To find out if you do, contact your local county or tribal human or social services department. For more general information about the program, contact Social Security via 800-772-1213.

Other Social Services

Additional social services are available to SSI members through your local agency. These services include:

  • Homemaker and chore services.
  • Long-term support and care.
  • Rehabilitation services.
  • Protective services.

For more information about these and other social services, contact your local agency.

Last revised September 27, 2021