New DHS Abatement Notification System
We're pleased to announce that our new, online asbestos abatement notification system is coming! Soon, it will be easier than ever to notify the Department of Health Services (DHS) using your smartphone, tablet, or computer connected to the internet. You'll be able to:
- Notify DHS of projects while you're on the go, as soon as the job is confirmed.
- Save time by filling out only what DHS needs to know.
- Pay fees quickly and securely using Visa, MasterCard, or e-check.
- Receive an instant email for your records confirming your notice is complete.
- Revise or cancel notices wherever you are, on the job site, or even while stopping for gas!
The new system will go live this fall. The date will be announced.
You can notify DHS of your asbestos project anytime before it starts if you use the Department of Natural Resources' (DNR) Asbestos Renovation and Demolition Notification (ARDN) website. You may also notify DHS using the Asbestos Project Notification, F-00041 (Word-fillable).
Information on this page has been organized into two categories. Please choose one of the following tabs.
Notify Online: ARDN
Notify through ARDN if you wish to pay by credit or debit card, or if you don't have enough time before your project starts to submit a timely written notification.
Before you can notify through ARDN, you'll need to request access. Follow these steps:
- Visit the DNR Switchboard to create a log-in account.
- Request access to the Asbestos Notification system. For assistance with this process, visit Switchboard Help.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information about your company:
- Company Name
- DHS Certification Number
- Mailing Address
- Phone Number
- Representative's Name
Getting Started with ARDN
Both original and revised notifications to DHS can be submitted through ARDN. Here are some tips to help you submit your DHS project notification.
On the Project tab:
- Most DHS projects should have a project type of Renovation/Abatement.
- When notifying of a subproject to a planned renovation, you should use project type "Renovation/Abatement." See additional instructions concerning the Invoice tab for subproject notifications.
- Don't use punctuation or special characters in the contractor project number field.
- ARDN requires an entry in the inspector field. DHS projects do not require a pre-inspection. If there was no inspection, select "OWNER, TESTED/ASSUMED."
On the Invoice tab:
- Once you've submitted your notification (using the Submit Page link to the far right of each tab), go to the Invoice tab to see the PDF invoice document. Follow the instructions on the invoice to submit your payment. Your notification is not complete until your payment is submitted.
- If no invoice appears, return to the Contractor tab and make sure that you have selected an abatement contractor with a license number.
- Special note for subproject notifications only: ARDN generates fees for subprojects that are incorrect. If you notify more than two working days before the start of the subproject, you should not pay the $50 invoice. If notified fewer than two working days before the subproject start date, you will need to pay the $100 invoice. In either case, always send an email to email@example.com with the subproject notification ID to let us know. If applicable, we'll process a $50 refund.
Notify by Mail or Personal Delivery
Use this method if you wish to pay using a paper check or money order. Complete the DHS Asbestos Project Notification F-00041 (PDF), and either personally deliver it before your project starts, or send it via U.S. mail, postmarked at least four working days before the project start date. The notification form and a check or money order for the applicable fee should be delivered or mailed to:
1 W Wilson St., Rm 139
Madison, WI 53703-3445
If you need to submit a revision to a written asbestos notification form, you may fax it to 608-266-9711 or email it to the Asbestos Program.
Questions? Can't find what you're looking for? Call the Asbestos Program at 608-261-6876.