Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Getting Certified to Do Asbestos Work

Training and certification are required before you may offer or conduct regulated asbestos activities. These activities include:

  • Abatement of asbestos-containing materials, or suspect asbestos-containing materials.
  • Asbestos testing or inspection.
  • Asbestos air sampling or monitoring.

By getting certified and working safely, you protect your own and others' health, and show professional responsibility.

Both individual certification and company certification are required.

Information on this page has been organized into two categories. Please choose one of the following headings.

Each of the different individual asbestos certification options is listed in Certification Requirements for Asbestos Disciplines, P-00848A (English and Spanish). For each discipline, the required training, activities allowed, certification fee, and refresher information is included.

Read on to learn about the steps to getting certified. Call our office at 608-261-6876 with any questions.

1. Get training. Complete the required training class(es) before applying. See Asbestos Training Providers for a listing of companies offering accredited asbestos training classes. If you're new to the discipline, you need to take the initial training.

Line map of USA with shadow

Have you already been trained in another state? No problem

Wisconsin will recognize out-of-state training as long as you:

  • Take your most recent refresher training in Wisconsin.
  • Provide us with copies of all of your training diplomas from out-of-state classes.
  • Have no more than two years between any two classes in the discipline you wish to become certified in, dating all the way back to your initial training.
  • Pay an additional $25 fee for processing your training history.

You cannot apply online if any required training was taken in another state.

2. Apply to certify yourself and your company. Apply for your certifications right away after training, and at least one month before you need to do regulated work. If you work for yourself, you must certify your own company under a name of your choosing. Otherwise, you must be employed by a certified company. See the tab "Company Certification" for more information.

You can apply for certification online, if paying by Visa, MasterCard, or electronic check. Don't apply online if you have taken training outside of Wisconsin or prefer to pay by money order or paper check. Instead, print and complete a paper application, F-44017 (PDF) for mailing.

Veterans License Fee Waiver Program

Are you a veteran of the U.S. armed services? You may qualify to receive your first individual certification for free! Visit the Veterans Professional/Occupational Licensure Fee Waiver Program Page to learn how to get a fee waiver voucher code, which can be submitted with your individual certification application instead of the applicable fee.

3. Work under your provisional certification. Once you've completed training and applied for certification, you may use your training diploma as your provisional certification to conduct regulated work. You must have your diploma with you on site when you are working under provisional certification.

4. Carry your certification card with you once you receive it. You need to have your certification card with you when doing regulated work, or clear, legible copy of it. A photo on your phone is also acceptable.

Company certification is required to conduct regulated asbestos work. Read on to learn how to get your company certified. Call our office at 608-261-6876 with any questions.

1. Choose the right type of company certification. There are two options:

  • Asbestos company. Certifying as an asbestos company will allow you to offer and conduct any regulated asbestos activities, as long as the individuals you use to conduct those activities are appropriately trained and certified.
  • Exterior asbestos company. Certifying as an exterior asbestos company will allow you to offer and conduct regulated asbestos activities that are limited to non-friable asbestos-containing material that remains non-friable on the exterior of a building or facility, such as most roofing and siding removal. Your company must have appropriately trained and certified staff for each activity it will offer or conduct.

2. Get your staff appropriately trained and certified. Companies are responsible for using appropriately trained and certified individuals to perform all regulated asbestos activities. For example, everyone on an abatement crew must, at a minimum, be certified as a worker and be under the direct supervision of at least one certified supervisor. Exterior-certified staff cannot do work involving friable material or material inside a building.

Similarly, a certified asbestos company that conducts asbestos management activities, including inspection work, must use certified asbestos inspectors, management planners, or project designers.

3. Certify your company. You can apply for certification online, if paying by Visa, MasterCard, or electronic check. Don't apply online if you prefer to pay by money order or paper check. Instead, mail a paper application, F-44002 (PDF).

4. Decide whether to list your company on the DHS Find a Certified Asbestos Company webpage. If you'd like your company to be included in our directory, let us know when you apply. Your company's name, mailing address, phone number, email, and website address will be published so that consumers can contact your business when they're searching for a certified company. Companies that don't identify certified staff will not be listed.

Questions? Can't find what you're looking for? Call our main office at 608-261-6876 or email

Last revised March 28, 2024