Here for you
When life gets overwhelming, it helps to know you are not alone. The helplines, hotlines, and text services listed below provide support for all types of issues that can cause emotional distress, including:
- Anxiety and depression
- Divorce or relationship challenges
- Grief or loss
- Substance use
- Thoughts of suicide
- Violent or abusive situations
What to expect when you call or text
There are no scripts or predetermined solutions. The people who answer your call or text message are trained to help you find solid ground and identify the best next steps to help you handle your challenge.
Three things to know before you call or text
- For medical, police, or fire emergencies, call 911
- Many helplines, hotlines, and text services are available at no cost to the caller. Some helplines, hotlines, and text services may charge a fee or dispatch services that may come with a cost. If this is a concern, you can ask what the organization's policy is regarding cost at any time. Message and data rates may apply.
- Many of the resources listed here may use restrictive interventions, like active rescues, wellness or welfare checks, involving law enforcement or emergency services. You can ask if this is a possibility at any point in your conversation if this is a concern for you.
Sources of support
Your County Crisis Line
Find the number for your county crisis line
(This directory is maintained by Prevent Suicide Wisconsin.)
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
800-799-4889 (Deaf and Hard of Hearing)
888-628-9454 (Ayuda En Español)
Crisis Text Line
Text HOPELINE to 741741
Veterans Crisis Line
800-273-8255, press 1.
Disaster Distress Helpline
Farmers Wellness Helpline
Trevor Lifeline (LGBTQ Lifeline)
Text START to 678-678
Help before a crisis heats up: Call a warmline
Warmlines are operated by peers, people with life experiences similar to yours. They listen without judgement and use their training and own experiences to help you steer clear of a mental health crisis before it happens. There are many warmlines in Wisconsin. All warmlines are non-emergency sources of support.
NOTE: Some warmlines may not answer your call immediately. You may be asked to leave a voicemail and wait for a call back.
Available to all state residents
- 608-244-5077 (Operated by Solstice House Peer-Run Respite)
- 715-505-5641 (Operated by Monarch House Peer-Run Respite)
- 920-815-3217 (Operated by Iris Place Peer-Run Respite)
- 414-877-5918 (Operated by Parachute House Peer-Run Respite)
Available to all state veterans
262-336-9540 (Operated by The R&R House Peer-Run Respite)
Available to residents of Milwaukee County
414-777-4729 (Operated by Warmline, Inc.)