IRS 1095-B Tax Form Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Important Health Coverage Tax Document Information

The IRS 1095-B tax form provides information about a person’s health care coverage for a specific tax year. No one is currently required to provide a 1095-B form when they file their federal or Wisconsin income taxes.

However, you may want your Internal Revenue Service (IRS) 1095-B tax form to keep with your tax records. If your health care coverage was from a Wisconsin program last year, you can request a copy from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) by one of these methods:

Please review the frequently asked questions below if you have other questions about the 1095-B tax form for programs like Medicaid or BadgerCare Plus.


What information do I need to provide to request my 1095-B form?

This information is required for us to handle your request:

  • Your full name
  • Your 10-digit ForwardHealth ID number, Social Security number, or case number
  • Your date of birth
  • Your mailing address where we should send the form

How do I get a copy of my child or tax dependent’s 1095-B tax form?

You can request a copy of the child or tax dependent’s 1095-B tax form only if you are currently on the same health care case as this person. You will need to provide: 

  • Your full name
  • Your child or dependent’s full name
  • Their 10-digit ForwardHealth ID number, Social Security number, or case number
  • Their date of birth
  • The mailing address where we should send the form

What does a 1095-B tax form have on it?

The 1095-B tax form will include:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Your Social Security number (last four digits only)
  • Your date of birth (only if the Social Security number is not available)
  • The months (or the entire year) you were covered by a Wisconsin health care program that is considered minimum essential coverage

Who can get a 1095-B tax form?

The 1095-B form is available for anyone who had at least one month of minimum essential coverage from a Wisconsin health care program, such as BadgerCare Plus or Medicaid for the Elderly, Blind or Disabled. DHS is required to send copies of member 1095-B forms to the IRS, but does not send them to members except upon request. To request a copy of a form for yourself, a child, or other dependent in your care, you can:

If you are enrolled in a program that does not meet the requirement for minimum essential coverage, we won’t create a 1095-B form for you.

What should I do if my 1095-B tax form is incorrect?

You should call the Wisconsin 1095-B form assistance line at 866-667-9419, or ​contact your local agency.

What should I do with a 1095-A tax form or a 1095-C tax form?

DHS does not provide 1095-A or 1095-C tax forms. To learn more about 1095-A and 1095-C tax forms or to find out how to get a tax form if you need one, visit the appropriate IRS webpage: 1095-A tax form or 1095-C tax form.

Is there a fee or penalty from the IRS for not having health care coverage?

There is currently no federal penalty or fine for not having health insurance.

Where can I get help filing my taxes?

Please contact the IRS or another tax professional for help. 

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs offer free tax help for taxpayers who qualify. To find a VITA or TCE site near you, go to the IRS website or call 211.

Who can I contact if I need more help with my 1095-B tax form?

Call the Wisconsin 1095-B form assistance line at 866-667-9419 or contact your local agency.

Last Revised: January 10, 2022