Apply for Benefits


See if you can get help

Wisconsin has many programs that can help you with health care coverage, paying for food or child care costs, finding a job, and more. Before applying, you can answer a few questions to find out which programs may be able to help you.




Computer mouse and keyboard









Information to have ready

Before applying for BadgerCare Plus, Medicaid, FoodShare, and/or Family Planning Only Services benefits, you should have the following information ready for each person who is applying:

  • Social Security number
  • Date of birth
  • Marital status
  • Address
  • U.S. citizenship or immigration status
  • Job information, including employer's name, address, and phone number
  • Job income
  • Other income (for example, Social Security or Unemployment Compensation)
  • Names of people living in your home and how they are related.
  • For BadgerCare Plus, information about health insurance you may have through your employer

Ways to apply

You can apply for BadgerCare Plus, Medicaid, FoodShare, and Family Planning Only Services benefits in any of the ways listed below.

Using a laptop


You can apply online using the ACCESS website. This is the fastest and easiest way to apply for benefits. You can also apply for multiple programs at the same time when using ACCESS.

Dialing a number on a smartphone


You can apply by phone by calling your income maintenance or tribal agency during their regularly scheduled hours.


Three young adults working together on a computer

In Person

You can apply by going to your income maintenance or tribal agency during their regularly scheduled office hours.

Black mailbox with red flag up


Fill out and mail a paper application for each program you are applying for: BadgerCare Plus or Medicaid, FoodShare, and Family Planning Only Services.


Other resources

More information on applying

You can find more information about applying for health, nutrition, and other programs in the Guide to Applying, P-16091.

Contact information

Find your agency's or aging and disability resource center's contact information and regularly scheduled office hours.

Fair hearings

You have the right to appeal a decision made about your eligibility for a program. Get the Request for Fair Hearing form online.

Other programs

Need help with child care costs or getting a job? Learn how Wisconsin Shares Child Care Subsidy and Wisconsin Works (W-2) could help.


Last Revised: June 8, 2021