Not too early, not too late — renew at the “just right” time
All members of BadgerCare Plus and other Wisconsin Medicaid programs have been assigned a health care renewal date between June 2023 and May 2024.
How do I find my renewal month?
- Refer to the letter you received from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services in late March or early April.
- Log in at access.wi.gov. If you don’t have an ACCESS account, you can create one for access to your state benefits information anywhere, anytime. Look for your Benefits Renewal Overview.
- Use the MyACCESS smartphone app. Log in with the same user ID and password you use for access.wi.gov. You can also create an account via the app.
- From the menu, tap “Check your benefits.”
- Tap the name of your program, like BadgerCare Plus.
- Look for the message “Your next renewal is due” and the date. Be sure to check the year – some renewals aren’t until 2024.
When is my “just right” time to renew?
Once you know your renewal month, renew at the “just right” time to avoid delays or a gap in coverage.
|Renewal month||"Just right" renewal window||Status|
|June 2023||May 15, 2023 — June 16, 2023||Your renewal is now late. You may be able to renew up to 90 days after your renewal month. Learn more.|
|July 2023||June 12, 2023 — July 18, 2023||Your renewal is now late. You may be able to renew up to 90 days after your renewal month. Learn more.|
|August 2023||July 10, 2023 — August 17, 2023||Your renewal is now late. You may be able to renew up to 90 days after your renewal month. Learn more.|
|September 2023||August 14, 2023 — September 15, 2023|
|October 2023||September 11, 2023 — October 18, 2023||RENEW NOW|
|November 2023||October 16, 2023 — November 16, 2023||Sign up for renewal reminders|
|December 2023||November 13, 2023 — December 18, 2023||Sign up for renewal reminders|
|January 2024||December 11, 2023 — January 18, 2024||Sign up for renewal reminders|
|February 2024||January 15, 2024 – February 16, 2024||Sign up for renewal reminders|
|March 2024||February 12, 2024 – March 18, 2024||Sign up for renewal reminders|
|April 2024||March 11, 2024 – April 17, 2024||Sign up for renewal reminders|
|May 2024||April 15, 2024 – May 16, 2024||Sign up for renewal reminders|
Return to our renewal page for more information on completing your renewal.
If you do not renew during your renewal month, your benefits will end.
- For BadgerCare Plus and most Wisconsin Medicaid programs, you can do a late renewal up to three months after your renewal month. Send in your renewal packet or complete your renewal at access.wi.gov.
- If you do a late renewal, however, you might have a gap in coverage. Starting four months after your renewal month, you will have to reapply. If not, call 211 or visit WisCovered.com to get help finding other coverage.
What options do I have if I don't qualify for BadgerCare Plus or Medicaid?