Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Consumer Guide: Finding and Choosing Substance Use Treatment Programs

In Wisconsin, the state licenses and regulates certain substance use treatment programs (based on Wis. Admin. Code ch. DHS 75 (PDF)). There's a directory with details about each program in Wisconsin. View the directory in Excel or as a PDF.

View the community substance use services provider directory as a PDF (PDF)

View the community substance use services provider directory in Excel (Excel)

What is a substance use treatment program?

Substance use treatment programs offer a range of activities to help people living with a substance use disorder. Programs include:

  • Intervention and prevention efforts.
  • Withdrawal management centers.
  • Day treatment.
  • Inpatient (checking into a hospital) and outpatient facilities.
  • Residential programs.

It's important to find the right treatment program for your needs. We have resources to help you choose one that works for you.

Substance use resources

Expand the section that applies to you to view a list of resources. Select a link to learn more.

Along with the directory, these resources can help you learn more about substance use treatment programs.

  • Wisconsin Addiction Recovery Helpline - Use this service to find a licensed facility near you or call (toll-free) 211.
  • Provider Search - Use the Provider Search tool to find health and residential care providers in Wisconsin. You can filter results to show only certain types of facilities, such as a substance use treatment program or mental health treatment program.

These resources can help you understand laws that protect you and your care.

  • Substance Use Treatment Programs - Learn more about how substance use treatment programs are regulated in Wisconsin.
  • Client Rights Office - Find out how to get advice about your rights from a team of experts. This office helps people who get services for a disability, mental health, or substance use. They'll tell you more about your rights under the law, Wis. Stat. §§ 51.30 and 51.61, and what they mean.
  • Complaints or Problems with Your Health Care - Find out how to file a complaint about your health care. Includes issues with health and residential care facilities, providers, insurance, and medical bills.
  • End-of-Life Planning - Learn about how to plan for the end of life. Includes details on advance directives, do-not-resuscitate orders, privacy rights, and more.
Last revised September 27, 2023