Locating a Doctor
- The American Medical Association's AMA Doctor Finder provides information on nearly every licensed doctor in the country.
- You can find out if your doctor is certified in internal medicine with the American Board of Internal Medicine database.
- If your doctor is a specialist, you can find out if your doctor is certified with the American Board of Medical Specialties database. There is no charge to use this site; however, you will be required to register prior to conducting your first search.
- You can find out if your doctor participates in Medicare with the Wisconsin Physicians Service database. You can use the database to locate participating physicians by city or county. Individual physicians may be listed under the name of their medical group rather than by physician name.
- You can also search for Wisconsin physicians in the Physician Directory from the Wisconsin Medical Society. The Society is a non-profit, professional organization that represents many member doctors, residents, and medical school students in Wisconsin.
- If you need free or low-cost medical care, you can look for a free or low-cost medical clinic in your area.
Contact the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services (formerly Regulation and Licensing) to check the doctor's license status or to find out about orders / disciplinary actions.
Doctor Information By Specialty
Primary Care Physicians
- Getting Started: Choosing a Doctor You Can Talk To: Information from the federal National Institute on Aging on choosing a doctor.
- To reach the Wisconsin Osteopathic Physicians Association Referral Service, call 262-567-0520.
- Finding a doctor for your new baby: Created by The Nemours Foundation's Center for Children's Health Media.
- Searching for a Surgeon: from The American College of Surgeons.
- Mental Health Providers: Tips on Finding One: Information from the Mayo Clinic on choosing mental health care provider.
- Choosing a Psychiatrist: Helpful information from the American Psychiatric Association, including information on the warning signs of mental illness and what to expect on your first visit.
- Information from the National Eye Institute (PDF) about choosing an eye care professional.
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- What is a Physiatrist? and Why Visit a Rehabilitation Physician? From the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- Aurora Advanced Healthcare
- Aurora Health Care
- Bellin Health
- Dean Health System
- Gundersen Health System
- Marshfield Clinic
- Mayo Clinic Health System
- Medical Associates Clinic
- Medical College of Wisconsin Physicians and Clinics
- Ministry Health Care Medical Groups
- Monroe Clinic
- Prevea Health
- UnityPoint Health - Meriter
- UW Health