Medicaid: Wraparound Milwaukee
Wraparound Milwaukee helps coordinate mental health services for children and youth in Milwaukee County who have a mental health or substance use diagnosis.
The program helps children and youth stay in their home or in community care. It’s run by the Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Division.
Each participant has a team to help develop and successfully carry out their care plan. The team may include:
- A Wraparound Milwaukee coordinator
- Their family members
- A social worker
- A teacher
- A therapist
Who is eligible?
Children and youth are eligible for the program if they:
- Qualify for Wisconsin Medicaid.
- Live in Milwaukee County.
- Are 20 or younger.
- Have a mental health diagnosis by a psychologist or psychiatrist.
- Have a behavioral or emotional challenge that puts them at immediate risk of not being able to stay in their home or in community care.
- Are involved with two or more of the following:
- Child protective services
- Juvenile justice system
- Mental health services
- Social services
- Special education
- Are not in an inpatient psychiatric hospital or nursing home facility.
How can I refer a child or youth?
You don’t need to fill out an application. You can simply call the Children and Young Adult Mental Health Resource Line at 414-257-7607 to make a referral.
A staff member will ask you questions about the child or youth during the call to see if they’re eligible. If they are, the staff member will schedule a time to meet with your family and child. During the meeting, you’ll answer questions about what’s going on and what your care needs are. One of you will also need to sign an initial consent form at that time.
The staff member will go over the information with an enrollment coordinator. They will contact you to let you know if the child or youth is eligible to enroll in Wraparound Milwaukee. You’ll also get a letter in the mail.
What happens if a child or youth is approved?
If the child or youth is approved for the program, a coordinator will schedule a time and place to meet with your family.
During the meeting, the coordinator will:
- Learn about your needs.
- Decide who should be involved in the child’s or youth’s care plan.
- Create a care plan, including one for mental health emergencies.
Who to contact for help
Call the Wraparound Milwaukee Program at 414-257-7610 if you have questions about Wraparound Milwaukee. Staff are available from 8 a.m.—4:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, and from 8 a.m.—5:30 p.m. on Wednesday.
- Children’s Community Mental Health Services & Wraparound Milwaukee (PDF)
- Wraparound Milwaukee Family Handbook (PDF)