If you are forced to leave your home due to a natural or man-made disaster here are recommended steps to take before doing so.
- Make sure gas stoves are turned off before you leave.
- If you leave your house for an alternative shelter during the winter, leave a faucet on at the end of your water service line so a trickle of water is coming out of the faucet. This should prevent your water line from freezing.
- If you leave your house, remember to take any medications or special diet supplements with you.
- If you know of people that are out of town during a natural gas evacuation, please contact the local authorities. These homes need to be checked for pets, etc.
- If you leave your home, be sure and let relatives know where you are going.
For more information, contact your local utility or Local Health Department.