When disaster strikes, the primary mission of emergency human services is to first understand what services are needed, then to ensure these services are provided quickly and efficiently to the people who need them most.
Emergency human services are an essential part of the Wisconsin Emergency Response Plan's emergency support function 6 (ESF-6). For more information on ESF-6, visit Wisconsin Emergency Management.
Emergency Human Services Explained
Emergency means something outside your human services agencies’ typical day-to-day work and duties.
Human services is meant generically and collectively to include services provided by governmental and non-governmental organizations. These include programs that help survivors address unmet, disaster-caused needs and/or non-housing losses through loans and grants or through coordination of assistance from non-governmental sources.
The American Red Cross North Central Division is offering a webinar series for emergency managers on Topics in Mass Care during the coming months. Each month they will take a closer look at the disciplines that make up mass care practice, and give participants a forum for any mass care related questions.
Previous sessions have been recorded and are available to listen to.
Replace this text
Planning for and responding to your communities' and first responders' behavioral health needs after a natural disaster is a vital part of emergency response.
Functional Assessment Service Teams help support people with access and functional needs when they are displaced from their homes due to a disaster or emergency.
By defining terms used in emergency human services, responders and public officials can communicate more effectively during a response.
Emergency Human Services Contacts
- DHS Health Emergency Preparedness and Response
- DHS Healthcare Emergency Preparedness
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Agency
- Wisconsin Emergency Management (WEM)
- Department of Children and Families (DCF)
- Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection (DATCP)
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Wisconsin Medical Reserve Corps
- American Red Cross
- The Salvation Army
- Wisconsin Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster
- Wisconsin Association of the Deaf (WAD)