Definition: Wisconsin Stat. § 50.01(3):
"Nursing home" means a place where 5 or more persons who are not related to the operator or administrator reside, receive care or treatment and, because of their mental or physical condition, require access to 24-hour nursing services, including limited nursing care, intermediate level nursing care and skilled nursing services.
"Nursing home" does not include any of the following:
- A convent or facility owned or operated exclusively by and for members of a religious order that provides reception and care or treatment of an individual.
- A hospice, as defined in s. 50.90 (1), that directly provides inpatient care.
- A residential care apartment complex.
- 42 CFR 483.5, 42 CFR 483.10 through 483.75 (Electronic Code of Federal Regulations)
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) – State Operations Manual (Appendix PP)
Waiver or Variance Requests
View Waivers and Variances: Long-Term Care for information to submit a request.
If you have questions about the waiver or variance process, email Elizabeth Laubenstein or call 608-266-2966.