Local government offices provide a wide range of services to Wisconsin residents. Information on the types of services offered and office locations is shown below.
Register of Deeds Offices
Register of Deeds Offices maintain and issue copies of birth, death, marriage, divorce, declaration of domestic partnership, and termination of domestic partnership records.
Register of Deeds (PDF)
Milwaukee and West Allis City Vital Records Offices maintain and issue copes of birth and death records.
Milwaukee City Health Office
841 N. Broadway, Room 315
Milwaukee, WI 53202-3613
West Allis City Health Office
7120 W. National Ave.
West Allis, WI 53214-4774
County Clerk Directory (PDF)
The County Board of each county sets marriage license fees. Fees are subject to change. Always check with the appropriate County Clerk about the current fees in a particular county.
Clerks of Court
- File divorce/annulment certificates for divorces/annulments granted in the county court.
- Issue copies of divorce decrees for divorces granted in the county court.
- File court orders affecting vital records (such as: amendments, legal name changes, adoptions, paternity adjudications)
Coroners and Medical Examiners
Coroners/Medical Examiners Listing and Fee Information for special services like issuing cremation releases. (PDF) (May 2021)
- Certify cause and manner of death on all injury and poisoning-related deaths and in other cases as mandated by state law.
- Issue releases to cremate bodies.
- Issue permits to disinter remains.