Pre-6 P-EBT 2022-2023: Food Benefits for Young Children in FoodShare Families

Food benefits for young children whose learning was affected by COVID-19

The Pre-6 Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (Pre-6 P-EBT) program provides money for families in FoodShare to buy food for their children under the age of 6 who are not enrolled in school. Pre-6 P-EBT was designed to specifically assist families who received FoodShare for part or all of the school year.

We recently received information from the federal government that explains how the Pre-6 Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (Pre-6 P-EBT) program will work in the 2022-23 school year. In partnership with the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) and the Department of Children and Families, we are preparing a plan which we will submit to our federal partners for approval.


If your family is eligible for Pre-6 P-EBT, you will receive a letter that will tell you if you will receive Pre-6 P-EBT, and if so, how much for each month. Benefits will be loaded directly onto your QUEST card.


DHS will determine benefit amounts for the 2022-2023 Pre-6 P-EBT program based on a formula that was developed to meet federal requirements and maximize benefits for families. 

Pre-6 P-EBT benefits must be used within one year of the date they are put on the QUEST card, and they can be used in any store that accepts FoodShare, like major grocery chains and convenience stores. You can use the benefits to buy certain food items, including:

  • Breads and cereals
  • Fruits and vegetables
  • Meat, fish, and poultry
  • Dairy products
  • Snack foods
  • See a more detailed list of items(link is external) you can and cannot buy with these benefits.

To check the balance on your card, go to the ebtEDGE website or use the ebtEDGE mobile app. If you lose your card, call QUEST Card Service at 877-415-5164.

Please remember that you cannot give your card to someone else. It is illegal to sell, trade, or give your Pre-6 P-EBT benefits to another person.

 For assistance

If you have questions, contact the P-EBT Support Team.

Last Revised: October 31, 2022

211 Wisconsin

Call 211 or 877-947-2211 to get referrals for thousands of services across Wisconsin. For COVID-19 questions, text COVID to 211-211. Language assistance is available.

Resilient Wisconsin

Get help learning how to manage stress and adapt to change with services and support from organizations across the state.

Helpful resources

Find help with housing, income, food, employment, health care, mental health concerns, safety at home, and more—in multiple languages.