All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Department of Health Services does not testify to, sponsor, or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages.
Automotive Equipment and Financing
- Adapting motor vehicles for people with disabilities
- Online version of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) brochure on adapting motor vehicles for people with disabilities.
- Automotive safety for people with disabilities
- Resources and information on automotive safety for people with disabilities from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Car and Van Modifications
- Several resources on adaptive driving from the Spinal Cord Information Network.
- Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation (PDF)
- Information about various grant programs for people with physical disabilities.
- National Spinal Cord Injury Association (NSCIA)
- Information about financial assistance for those affected by spinal cord injuries.
- Travis Roy Foundation for people with spinal cord injury
- Information about grants available to paraplegics or quadriplegics paralyzed due to a spinal cord injury, which can be used for vehicle modifications and other purposes.
- WisLoan Program
- The WisLoan program offers loans for assistive technology. The loans help people buy equipment such as hearing aids, modified vehicles, wheelchairs and ramps.
Laws and Regulations
- ADA and Public Transportation
- Information on the ADA and public transportation from the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) website.
- Air Carrier Access Act regulations (Word)
- Rules on nondiscrimination on the basis of disability from the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- Disabled Parking License Plates
- Information about disabled license plates from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. Includes information on vehicles and people who qualify, uses of the plates and how to apply,
- Disabled Parking Identification Cards
- Information about disabled parking identification cards from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. Includes information on eligibility, how to apply, things you should know, and penalties for misuse.
- Gas Station Assistance
- Explanation of the equal access gas stations must provide to customers with disabilities from the U.S. Department of Justice, Disability Rights Section.
- Wheelchair Users as Pedestrians (PDF)
- What has wheels and a motor, and carries human passengers but isn't a motor vehicle? The answer we're looking for is: wheelchairs and scooters used by people with physical disabilities.
- Link to the section of Amtrak's website that provides information on their services for people with disabilities. Includes information on making reservations, accessibility, meal service, etc.
- Disability.gov - Transportation
- This section of Disability.gov offers a wide range of information on accessible transportation systems, community transportation initiatives and federal laws and regulations to improve access and availability of bus, rail and air travel.
- Disability.gov - Transportation-Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Transit Links
- List of transit agencies in Wisconsin by county and city from the American Public Transportation Association.
- Transportation Planning in Wisconsin
- Information on Wisconsin's long-range transportation plan from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. Includes information on how the public can provide input into the plan.
Specialized Transit Services
- Funding for Specialized Transit Services
- Information about programs that can assist local governments and transit systems with operating and/or capital expenses to support public transportation services such as buses, vans and shared-ride taxi systems.