Many people with significant disabilities want to work. They have skills, talents, and experience to offer employers, but face barriers to employment that prevent them from reaching their full potential. They fear losing their health care coverage and often struggle to understand the complex and uncoordinated array of benefits and employment services available.
Employment initiatives are designed to address the barriers to employment and community living faced by many individuals with disabilities. With input from key stakeholders including consumers, advocates and policy makers, these employment initiatives involve identifying current systematic barriers and designing creative ways to address them. The goal is to test innovative solutions to existing problems and incorporate them into the overall consumer-driven, systems change movement in Wisconsin.
- Guiding Principles for Competitive Integrated Employment for People with Disabilities in Long-Term Care, P-01786 (PDF)
- Medicaid Purchase Plan (MAPP)
- Health Employment Counseling Program (HEC)
- PPS Employment Outcomes Module
- Family Care Integrated Employment Initiatives
For additional information, please contact:
Employment Initiatives Section - Bureau of Children's Services Long Term Support Services
Department of Health Services, Division of Medicaid Services
1 West Wilson Street, Room 418
Madison, WI 53703
Toll Free: 866-278-6440
- Interagency Agreement (PDF)
- Transition Action Guide for Post-School Planning (PDF)
- Transition Action Guide (short version) (PDF)
- Wisconsin Statewide Transition Initiative
- Managed Care and Employment Task Force Final Report (PDF)
- Medicaid Purchase Plan Evaluation 2011 Annual Report (PDF)
- Employment Initiatives Research Papers
Video: Employment Possibilities in Wisconsin - This video highlights the viewpoints of key leadership from Community Rehabilitation Providers (CRPs) that participated in the "Rebalancing Initiative" funded by the Medicaid Infrastructure Grant (MIG).
- 2009 Workplace Personal Assistant Services Toolkit (PDF)
- Summary of Vocational Service Costs (PDF)
- Governors Committee for People with Disabilities
- Governor Scott Walker Proclaims October 2013 as Disability Employment Awareness Month
- Wisconsin Disability Benefits Network
- Physical Disability Resources
Keep Me Posted
Sign up to receive email updates regarding Employment Initiatives. The Department will notify you when additional details are available.