Wisconsin Medicaid and BadgerCare Plus - Emergency Services

Printable Version (PDF 70KB)

Emergency Services is a program for people who have an emergency medical condition and cannot get Medicaid or BadgerCare Plus because of immigration or citizenship status.

A medical emergency is a medical problem which could put your health at serious risk or harm if you do not get medical care right away. This does not include conditions that are ongoing or chronic.

You may be able to get Emergency Services, if you are:

  • Age 65 or older, or

  • Blind or disabled, or

  • Under the age of 19, or

  • Pregnant, or

  • Have children under age 19 in the home, and

  • Meet all other program rules. 

Social Security Numbers are not required. Information about your family will not be shared with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) (formerly INS).

Note: Emergency Services will only pay for medical emergencies. The Emergency Services program does not guarantee the care you get will be paid. You will have to pay the cost of health care you get, if it is not considered an emergency. 

Enrollment Dates

Emergency Services begins on the first day you get medical care and ends when your condition is no longer an emergency.

If you are pregnant, you can apply for Emergency Services one month before your due date. Emergency Services will not pay for prenatal or postpartum care. Emergency Services will pay for any emergencies for up to 60 days after your delivery date.

Note: If you are a pregnant woman, you may be able to enroll in BadgerCare Plus Prenatal Services. This program covers routine doctor visits and hospital care related to pregnancy. Your coverage will end on the day your pregnancy ends.

How to Apply

You must apply for Emergency Services and Prenatal Services with your local agency. You can apply online at ACCESS.wi.gov, by mail, phone or in person. To get an application, if you have questions or need help completing the application or to find the local agency in your area, call Member Services at 1-800-362-3002.

You may get a form from the medical provider that says you were treated for an emergency. You can include this form with your application for Emergency Services, but it is not required. 

For More Information

The Department of Health Services is an equal opportunity employer and service provider. If you have a disability and need to access this information in an alternate format, or need it translated to another language, please contact (608) 266-3356 or 1-888-701-1251 (TTY). All translation services are free of charge.

For civil rights questions call (608) 266-9372 or 1-888-701-1251 (TTY).

Information provided is general. For more detailed information, call 1-800-362-3002 or your agency.


P-10072 (07/12)

Last Revised: February 26, 2015