Are you are unable to find insurance or pay for your care?
First, check to see if you might be eligible for a government program to help with your health needs. Then check the following resources for finding free or reduced-fee care.
- Free or low-cost medical care is available at some locations.
- Free or low-cost dental services may be available.
- Free or low-cost vision services may be available.
- Free or low-cost prescription drug programs may be available.
- Free or low-cost hospital services also may be available.
Are you having a problem with a provider or with your medical bills?
The "If You Have a Problem" guide can help you deal with various types of health problems, including problems with:
- A doctor or dentist
- Another health professional
- A health or residential care facility
- A mental health care treatment program
- An alcohol or drug abuse program
- Health insurance
- Medical bills or debt
If you have a disability or chronic illness, or care for someone who does
If you have a disability, you may qualify for Medicare or Medicaid. In most cases you will first need to meet the standards for disability (exit DHS) set by the Social Security Administration. Once you meet these standards, you may qualify for Social Security Disability Income or Supplemental Security Income. Being part of these programs may then allow you to qualify for Medicare or Medicaid. The guide to Medicare and Medicaid for Those with Disabilities provides specific information on these programs.
The Information and Support for People with Disabilities and Chronic Illnesses section lists other government programs and private organizations that may be able to help you.
Whether you are caring for a senior or someone with a disability or chronic illness, Information and Help for Caregivers will be of interest to you.
- Help and Support for Specific Conditions:
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Brain Injury
- Cerebral Palsy
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Developmental Disabilities
- Down Syndrome
- Hard of Hearing
- Heart Disease
- Kidney Disease
- Low Vision
- Lung Disease
- Lyme Disease
- Mental Illness
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Pain and Other Symptoms of Serious Illness