Mental Health, Inpatient Programs (Adult) are certified by the Department of Health Services under Wisconsin Administrative Code Chapter DHS 61.71.
An Inpatient Program (Adult) means a county operated inpatient unit, general hospital psychiatric unit, or private psychiatric hospital whose primary objective is to provide care and intensive treatment for the mentally ill.
One year (Provisional)
See Wisconsin Administrative Code Chapter DHS 61.
See Wisconsin Administrative Code Chapter DHS 61; on receipt of an application for initial certification or renewal of certification, the department shall review the application and its supporting documents; designate a representative to conduct an on-site survey of the program. Within 60 days after receiving a completed application for initial certification or renewal of certification, the department shall either certify the program if all requirements for certification are met or deny certification if any requirement has not been met.
The following applications are required for certification of a Mental Health, Inpatient Program (Adult):
- F-00547 (Word) Mental Health Inpatient Certification Application – Chapters DHS 61.71 and DHS 61.79
- F-62504* (Word) CSAS or Mental Health Clinic Initial Certification Application
- F-00273* (Word) – Behavioral Health Services Initial Certification Application – Chapter DHS 94 – Patient Rights and Resolution of Patient Grievances
*These applications are not required if the program is being added to an existing certificate.
Caregiver Background Check – This process is not required if the program is being added to an existing certificate
A caregiver background check (CBC) is required to be completed for all applicants/legal representatives prior to the approval of any new license, certification or registration of a DQA regulated entity.
- Review information for Licensee Applicants/License Holder Background Checks found on the Caregiver Background Check Process web page for the completion of the Background Information Disclosure (BID) form and Appendix. Complete either the Online Caregiver Background Check (CBC) process or the manual application process.
- Also review information on the requirement for Employee Background Checks found on the Caregiver Background Check Process webpage.
WI Administrative Code
Chapter DHS 12, Caregiver Background Checks
Chapter DHS 13, Reporting and Investigation of Caregiver Misconduct
Chapter DHS 61, Community Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities
Chapter DHS 61.71, Inpatient Program Standards
Chapter DHS 92, Confidentiality of Treatment of Records
Chapter DHS 94, Patient Rights and Resolution of Patient Grievances
Visit the Mental Health Treatment Programs website for more information.