The Community Grievance Decision Digest contains summaries of the decisions made at the Level III and Level IV of the client rights grievance procedure. The purpose of setting forth the summary of decision precedents is to provide guidance for the interpretation of client rights laws and rules.
This listing is designed for client rights specialists and program directors who make decisions at Level IA and IB and county staff who make decisions at Level II of the grievance process. While much of the Community Grievance Decision Digest is technical in nature, consumers may also find it helpful to see how grievance issues have been decided at the Level III and Level IV of the grievance process.
"Emphasis Added" may be listed in the documents below. It means certain words in the quoted law or rule have been highlighted in bold to draw attention to them.
Service providers and consumers may cite these decision precedents in complaint documents. However, each complaint is unique and the decision precedent here may not, upon closer inspection, apply.
The Community Grievance Decision Digest does not apply to anyone receiving services from a state-operated facility.
Discharges and Transfers
Dignity and Respect Issues
- Abuse - freedom from (PDF, 26 KB)
- Arbitrary decisions - freedom from (PDF, 33 KB)
- Choices - respecting clients' (PDF, 32 KB)
- Civil rights (PDF, 20 KB)
- Conflicts between peers (PDF, 18 KB)
- Dignity and respect - right to (PDF, 30 KB)
- Discrimination - freedom from (PDF, 19 KB)
- Sexual harassment - freedom from (PDF, 20 KB)
- Staff / Client conflicts (PDF, 30 KB)
Grievance Process Issues
- Aesthetics, hygiene and sanitation (PDF, 15 KB)
- Businesses run by patients (PDF, 19 KB)
- Clothing and laundry (PDF, 20 KB)
- Dayroom activities (TV, radio, etc.) (PDF, 19 KB)
- Exercise and recreation (PDF, 18 KB)
- Food, meals and diets (PDF, 20 KB)
- Humane physical environment (PDF, 25 KB)
- Liberty and security level issues (PDF, 19 KB)
- Mail - Personal (PDF, 20 KB)
- Management of the facility (PDF, 18 KB)
- Physical health care (PDF, 25 KB)
- Possessions - limits on (PDF, 19 KB)
- Possessions - lost or damaged (PDF, 18 KB)
- Restrictive measures - freedom from (PDF, 32 KB)
- Religious worship (PDF, 21 KB)
- Risk-reduction measures (PDF, 24 KB)
- Rules and sanctions (PDF, 20 KB)
- Safety - right to safe environment (PDF, 24 KB)
- Searches of persons and possessions (PDF, 24 KB)
- Security measures (PDF, 20 KB)
- Sleep disturbances (PDF, 18 KB)
- Social contact - right to (PDF, 17 KB)
- Storage space (PDF, 19 KB)
- Telephone calls (PDF, 23 KB)
- Toileting and grooming (PDF, 19 KB)
- Visitors - right to receive (PDF, 19 KB)
- Wages for work (PDF, 25 KB)
- Drastic treatment - right to refuse (PDF, 23 KB)
- Experimental research - right to refuse (PDF, 32 KB)
- Medication - free from unnecessary or excessive (PDF, 35 KB)
- Medication - refusing on religious grounds (PDF, 19 KB)
- Methadone clinics (PDF, 34 KB)
- Treatment - consent required (PDF, 28 KB)
- Treatment - evaluation and monitoring of (PDF, 29 KB)
- Treatment - participation in own (PDF, 30 KB)
- Treatment - prompt and adequate (PDF, 64 KB)
- Treatment - second opinion options (PDF, 27 KB)
Can I get a copy of a Level III or Level IV decision?
Sorry, the Client Rights Office cannot provide copies. Due to the amount of details in most of these decisions, it would be nearly impossible to block out all the information that might identify the individual patient. Sending out copies of these decisions could violate the consumer's confidentiality rights.