Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Children’s Long-Term Support: Transition Planning for Youth

It’s important to plan for the transition to adult life. As a young person near adulthood, you have plenty of decisions to make:

  • What kind of job do I want?
  • Where will I live?
  • Who will I live with?
  • What do I want to do for fun?

If you received services and support as a child, you have to think about another important question: how to find services and support as an adult.

It’s important that you and your family start planning for this change as early as possible. The earlier you begin planning for life after high school, the smoother the transition will be.

Planning ahead gives you time to learn about and understand the changing roles, responsibilities, and opportunities you’ll have as an adult. You’ll be better able to make informed decisions about your life.

The support and service coordinator

Family members, teachers, and other adults you know and trust can help during this planning process. In addition, if you are participating in the Children’s Long-Term Support (CLTS) Program, the support and service coordinator (SSC) helps support you and your family with transition planning.

The SSC can:

  • Encourage you to explore your interests and talents.
  • Find opportunities for you to gain independence and increase self-determination skills.
  • Guide you to learn about legal changes, including new rights and responsibilities when you reach certain ages (14 and 18 years).
  • Help you apply for adult long-term support programs.
  • Help you set goals and create a vision for your life.
  • Make referrals to help you find a job.
  • Share information on how you can keep your Medicaid benefits, even if you are working.
  • Support you to meet educational and training goals.
  • Talk with you about life after high school.

Already know what you want to do as an adult? That’s great! The SSC can help you find ways to use your long-term supports to work on your goals. You also can talk with the SSC about your Individualized Education Program goals at school. The SSC can help you share your goals with your school team and others.

Adult long-term care options

Starting when you are 17 years and 6 months old, you can apply for adult long-term care services. You might be eligible for CLTS services until you turn 22. It depends on what kind of disability or disabilities you have. The SSC can help you and your family discuss your situation with staff at an aging and disability resource center.

Adult long-term care programs include:

Another option may be Supplemental Security Income and Medicaid benefits.

At some point, you will need to transition off the CLTS services. The SSC will work with the adult program you choose, or other county programs, to set a date to move to adult services.

You can also contact:

Last revised May 11, 2022