The federal 21st Century Cures Act requires electronic visit verification (EVV) for certain Medicaid-funded services. EVV started November 2, 2020. Beginning January 1, 2022, there will be consequences to you, the employer, if your non-live-in participant-hired worker is not using EVV as required. This includes disenrollment from IRIS.
Some important points to remember:
- IRIS participants who choose services from a provider agency will not need to train workers for EVV. The provider agency will manage the EVV requirements. These participants do not need to take any action.
- EVV is required for self-directed personal care services and routine supportive home care services.
- If a participant's worker lives with them, that worker will not have to use EVV. Your IRIS consultant can help you submit the proper paperwork for your live-in worker.
- Other participant-hired workers (those who do not live with the participant) will need to use EVV. Participants, as employers, will need to make sure their workers are trained and use EVV.
How are participant-hired workers trained?
The fiscal employer agency (FEA) chooses which EVV system participant-hired workers will use. IRIS consultants can help participants find the resources to train their participant-hired workers.
- iLIFE is using the Sandata EVV system provided by the Department of Health Services. For information specific to iLIFE EVV processes, including how to submit corrections to EVV visits and record EVV codes, please visit the iLIFE EVV webpage, email iLIFE, or call iLIFE at 888-800-5599.
- Other fiscal employer agencies are using their own EVV systems. The fiscal employer agency should provide information about that system. They should also provide a plan for how training will happen. If you have questions, please use the contact information below.
Read about your responsibility as an employer and what will happen if your non-live-in participant hired workers do not use EVV as required in IRIS EVV Policy (PDF).
To learn more about EVV and participants' roles, use these resources from the 2020 Self-Determination Conference:
IRIS Consultant Resources
This PowerPoint covers roles and responsibilities, including when the fiscal employer agency chooses the Sandata EVV system provided by the Department of Health Services. A recording of this October 2, 2020, PowerPoint presentation is also available (1 hour 50 minutes).