Consumer Guide: Finding and Choosing a Rural Health Clinic
In Wisconsin, the state licenses and regulates certain rural health clinics (based on 42 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 491). There’s a directory with details about each regulated rural health clinic Wisconsin. View the directory in Excel or as a PDF.
View rural health clinic directory as a PDF (PDF)
View rural health clinic directory in Excel (Excel)
What is a rural health clinic?
A rural health clinic is a clinic that’s in a remote area with a shortage of health care providers. You can often get the same services at a rural health clinic as a doctor’s office. A nurse practitioner or physician assistant usually provides the services.
We have resources to help you learn more about rural health clinics and find one that works for you.
Rural health clinic resources
Expand the section that applies to you to view a list of resources. Select a link to learn more.
Provider Search—Use the Provider Search tool to find health and residential care providers in Wisconsin. You can filter results to show only certain types of facilities, such as a rural health clinic.
These resources can help you understand laws that protect you and your care.
- Client Rights Office—Find out how to get advice about your rights from a team of experts. This office helps people who get services for a disability, mental health, or substance use. They’ll tell you more about your rights under the law, Wis. Stat. §§ 51.30 and 51.61, and what they mean.
- Complaints or Problems with Your Health Care—Find out how to file a complaint about your health care. Includes issues with health and residential care facilities, providers, insurance, and medical bills.
- End-of-Life Planning—Learn about how to plan for the end of life. Includes details on advance directives, do-not-resuscitate orders, privacy rights, and more.
- Rural Health Clinics—Learn more about how rural health clinics are regulated in Wisconsin.
These extra resources are for people who live in rural areas and their caregivers.
- CaringInfo—Find guides and resources to help you plan ahead, care for a loved one, live with an illness, or grieve a loss. This resource is from the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization.
- Quality Check—See which rural health clinics have earned accreditation or certification from The Joint Commission.