Chickenpox is a highly communicable disease caused by the varicella virus, a member of the herpes virus family.
- Varicella fact sheet, P-42035 (PDF)
- Varicella overview
- Varicella vaccination information
- Information on varicella vaccine
- Varicella vaccine information statement
- Public immunization record access
Information for Providers
This is a Wisconsin Disease Surveillance Category II disease:
- Report to the patient's local public health department electronically, through the Wisconsin Electronic Disease Surveillance System (WEDSS), by mail or fax using an Acute and Communicable Disease Case Report, F-44151 (Word) or by other means within 72-hours upon recognition of a case.
- DHS Communicable Disease Reporting
Wisconsin case reporting and public health follow-guidance
- Case Reporting and Investigation Protocol (EpiNet): P-01980 Varicella (PDF)
- Varicella surveillance and control guidelines, P-00610 (PDF)
- Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommendations
- ACIP Varicella vaccine recommendations