Know about Lead When Purchasing or Renting a Home

According to federal law, if you buy or rent a home built before 1978, you have the right to know if the seller or landlord has information about whether the home contains lead-based paint or any lead poisoning hazards. The seller, landlord or sales agent must give you the EPA pamphlet "Protect Your Family from Lead in Your Home." They must tell you what is known about the presence of lead-based paint or lead-based paint hazards in the home and give you any relevant records or reports.

The Lead-Based Paint Disclosure Rule Federal law requires that the seller, landlord, or sales agent of a property provide a copy of the pamphlet "Protect Your Family from Lead in Your Home" (see Additional Resources below) and disclose to potential buyers or renters any known lead hazards. A disclosure form must be signed by the potential buyer or the tenant at the lease signing. The forms are available on the EPA website for target housing sales (PDF) and rentals (PDF) .

Wisconsin Housing Search Search for rental housing in Wisconsin. It includes property details about the house being lead-safe or built prior to 1978.

House key with a heart

Additional Resources

Preventing Lead Poisoning: 5 Reasons to Hire a Certified Lead-Safe Contractor, P-00296 (PDF)

Certified Lead Companies These directories provide lists of companies that offer lead abatement, lead-safe renovation, or lead-based paint investigation or clearance services in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative Rules There are three Wisconsin regulations, which will assist the property owner or tenant with lead-based paint issues – Wis. Stat. ch. 704 and Wis. Stat. ch. 709.

Last Revised: November 2, 2021