Find resources and details on the Outcome and Assessment Information Set (OASIS). This information must be collected for adult Medicare and Medicaid patients receiving skilled services. It doesn't apply to patients receiving services for pre- or postnatal conditions.
Note: Patients receiving only personal care, homemaker, and chore services are excluded since those are not skilled services.
Learn about OASIS:
The Division of Quality Assurance (DQA) sponsors a quarterly forum to educate HHAs. Staff can ask questions and stay up to date on OASIS. DQA's OASIS education and automation coordinators jointly host the forum.
- Join Zoom forum (select this link to go straight to the room without needing to enter the meeting ID and password)
- Meeting ID: 160 874 8976
- Passcode: 701967
- Join by Phone: 551-285-1373
- Enter 1608748976 # when asked for the meeting ID
- Enter 701967 # if asked for passcode
- Enter # if asked for participant ID
- The next forum is scheduled for December 13, 2023, 1-2 p.m. Agenda (PDF)
Find recordings, agendas, and slide presentations from previous forums:
- December 14, 2022 - Agenda (PDF) and Slide Presentation (PDF)
- September 28, 2022 - Agenda (PDF) and Slide Presentation (PDF)
- June 16, 2022 - Agenda (PDF) and Slide Presentation (PDF)
- March 9, 2022 - Agenda (PDF) and Slide Presentation (PDF)
- December 9, 2021 - Agenda (PDF) and Slide Presentation (PDF)
- October 20, 2021 - Agenda (PDF) and Slide Presentation (PDF)
Learn more about OASIS with CMS (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) training resources:
- Home Health Quality Reporting Training topics, such as:
- Achieving a Full Annual Payment Update.
- Section M: Skin Conditions-Assessment and Coding of Pressure Ulcers/Injuries.
- Section N: Medications-Drug Regimen Review.
- Section GG.
Check out the CMS YouTube Channel.
View information from CMS with timely updates on OASIS and related topics.
- CY2024 HH PPS Final Rule CMS-1780-F
- HH PPS CY 2024 Update (PDF)
- HHA Assessment Requirements CY25 (PDF)
- OASIS-E Manual 2024 Update (PDF)
- Change Table for OASIS-E Manual 2024 Update (PDF)
- No updates to report
- BIMS and BIMS Summary Score: Stopping and Coding an Incomplete Interview Explainer Video
- Understanding Coding for N0415 - High-Risk Drug Classes: Use and Indication
- HH VBP Total Normalized Composite Change Measures (PDF)
- Expanded HH VBP FAQs (PDF)
- SDOH Explainer Video
- Grouper Software (ZIP)
- July 2023 CMS Quarterly OASIS Q&A's (PDF)
- HCPCS Codes Used for SNF CB Enforcement (PDF)
- COVID-19 Vaccine Requirements for LTC Facilities (PDF)
- IQIES MDS Frequently Asked Questions for Providers (PDF)
- SNF 5-Claim Probe and Educate Review and MLN Article
- Pub 100-04 Medicare Claims Processing (PDF)
- How to Use the PFS Look-Up Tool (PDF)
- Home Health Value-Based Purchasing
- Essentials Module Refresh: Patient and Family/Caregiver Engagement: Assessment and Goal Setting
- Essentials Module Refresh: Care Transitions: Provider Communication
- Home Health Care (HHC) Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) Survey
- Home Health Quality Reporting Data Submission Deadlines, July refresh will include Potentially Preventable Hospitalizations (PPH) measure
- 2023 Pain Interview Cue Cards (PDF)
- 2023 PHQ-2 to 9 Cue Cards (PDF)
- 2023 BIMS Cue Cards (PDF)
- Transfer of Health Items Explainer Video
- GG0170C Lying to Sitting on the Side of Bed
- GG0170L Walking 10 Feet on Uneven Surfaces
- GG0170P Picking Up Object
- Medicare Advantage Value-Based Insurance Design Model
- Expanded HH VBP Model
- Medicare Payment System
- Emergency Waivers (PDF)
- OASIS Error Message Codes (PDF)
- HH PPS Behavior Change Recap, 60-day Episode, and Payment Rate Development Webinar
- MAC Contact Info (Excel)
- HH QRP COVID-19 Public Reporting Tip Sheet 3rd Edition (PDF)
- HH PPS CY 2023 Update (PDF)
- January 2023 CMS Quarterly OASIS Q&A's (PDF)
- HH Changes for Disaster Claims and Certain Adjustments (PDF)
- Quality in Focus - Resources for Addressing HHA Incomplete Individualized Plan of Care Citations
- Expanded Coverage for Permanent Telehealth Policy (PDF)
- HH Value Based Purchasing Newsletter, Access to Pre-Implementation Performance Report (PIPR) and Webinar
Find helpful resources to support submissions, corrections, and account information under OASIS.
The OASIS data transmission requirement applies to Medicare and Medicaid patients receiving skilled care only. HHAs may continue to collect OASIS data for non-Medicare and non-Medicaid patients for their own use, but they may not submit this data to the state.
The system used by HHAs to submit OASIS data no longer supports the use of test data. Review Federal Register Volume 85, No. 214 (PDF) for more information.
Review these sources to find more information:
- State Operations Manual Chapter 2, 2202.3C - Non-Medicare/Non-Medicaid Patients (PDF)
- CMS OASIS Q&As: Category 1 - Applicability (PDF)
- Title 42 CFR § 484.45 Condition of Participation: Reporting OASIS Information
- Title 42 CFR § 484.55 Condition of Participation: Comprehensive Assessment of Patients
OASIS correction policy
The Home Health OASIS Submission/Correction Policy (PDF) fact sheet contains information about policy changes.
Quality Improvement and Evaluation System (QIES) technical support
Find technical guidance such as references and manuals, software tools, and training materials on the QIES Technical Support Office (QTSO) website. See the QTSO HHA Providers page or iQIES Software page for more details.
- Latest Software
- References and Manuals:
- Access Forms
- Important Links
CMS user account registration
Use these resources for help registering your account.
Find information and resources from CMS on quality improvement.
Find more resources on Medicare payments.
- Advance Beneficiary Notice of Noncoverage (ABN)
- Beneficiary Notices Initiative (BNI)
- CMS Medicare Learning Network - Denial of Home Health Payments (CR 9585, MLN SE 17009) (PDF)
- Home Health Patient-Driven Groupings Model (PDGM)
- Home Health Prospective Payment System (PPS)
- International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-10-CM)
- Medicare Benefit Policy Manual Chapter 7 - Home Health Services (PDF)
- Medicare Benefit Policy Manual Chapter 10 - Ambulance Services (PDF)
- National Government Services (NGS) - Medicare claims and rules
Find more information on OASIS from CMS and elsewhere, including answers to FAQs (frequently asked questions).
- CMS 19-07 - HHA FAQs (PDF) provides interpretive guidance on State Operations Manual, Appendix B (PDF)
- DQA Email Subscription Service (Listserv)
- Home Health Agency Center
- Home Health Care Survey on Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS)
- MetaStar-Wisconsin's Quality Improvement Organization
- Policy & Memos to States and Regions (Survey & Certification Memos)
- State Operations Manual, Chapter 2: The Certification Process (PDF)
- Resources and links from OASIS Answers
For questions about interpretation or intended use, contact Heather Newton, OASIS education coordinator:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call 920-360-6102.
For technical or automation questions, contact Emily Virnig, OASIS automation coordinator:
- Email email@example.com.
- Call 608-266-1718.
Patient names and other protected health information (PHI) should only be sent to individuals authorized to receive that information, so care must be taken to ensure the email is addressed correctly. Sending an email containing PHI to an incorrect recipient would be an unauthorized disclosure and a violation of HIPAA. We strongly recommend that you do not include PHI in an email. You may include the resident or assessment identification number.