This webpage provides resources and information pertaining to the Outcome and Assessment Information Set (OASIS) that is required to be collected for Medicare and Medicaid patients, 19 years and older, receiving skilled services, with the exception of patients receiving services for pre- or postnatal conditions. Those receiving only personal care, homemaker, or chore services are excluded since these are not considered skilled services.
General OASIS Information
- OASIS Guidance Manual
- The OASIS Data Specifications V2.31.1 dated November 15, 2021, is available under the Downloads area of the CMS OASIS Data Specifications webpage
- OASIS Data Sets – CMS has delayed in the implementation of OASIS-E
- OASIS Assessment Timing Reference Sheet (PDF)
OASIS Educational Forum
The Division of Quality Assurance (DQA) sponsors a quarterly educational forum to assist in keeping HHAs updated with evolving OASIS information and to provide an avenue for HHA staff to ask OASIS-related questions. The forum is hosted jointly by DQA's OASIS Education and Automation Coordinators.
Attend the OASIS Educational Forum
- Join Zoom forum (select this link to go straight to the room without needing to enter the meeting ID and password)
- Meeting ID: 161-306-5344
- Passcode: 551756
- Join by Phone: 551-285-1373
- Enter 1613065344 # when asked for the meeting ID
- Enter 551756 # if asked for passcode
- Enter # if asked for participant ID
The Top Participants in this quarter's forum activity were Sarah, Zkuang, and Michelle. Thank you for playing!
The Top Participants in this quarter's forum activity were Michelle and Heidi. Thank you for playing!
Note: We apologize to everyone who experienced technical difficulty with the Zoom meeting. We identified the problem and will provide an updated meeting link for December's forum.
A special thank you to Sabrina for playing our Poll Everywhere game!
A special thanks to everyone who participated in the Jeopardy Game!
- Camey 290
- Kari 230
- Courtney 170
A clarification regarding OASIS-E:As of May 8, 2020, CMS OASIS Data Sets OASIS-E will be delayed until January 1st of the year that is at least 1 full calendar year after the end of the COVID-19 public health emergency (PHE). However, CMS proposed a rule July 7, 2021, that if accepted will allow OASIS-E to release January 1, 2023. Public comment is due August 27, 2021. If accepted, the rule will be effective September 5, 2021 (60 days after the publication date). Please visit CMS Rulemaking for more information on how proposed regulations are managed.
- May 6, 2021 - Agenda (PDF) and Slide Presentation (PDF)
- January 27, 2021 - Agenda (PDF)
- October 7, 2020 - Agenda (PDF)
- Home Health Quality Reporting Training provides links to trainings such as:
- Achieving a Full Annual Payment Update (APU)
- Section M: Skin Conditions - Assessment and Coding of Pressure Ulcers/Injuries
- Section N: Medications - Drug Regimen Review
- Section GG
- CMSHHSgov YouTube Channel
The transmission requirement for OASIS data currently applies to Medicare and Medicaid patients receiving skilled care only. While HHAs are not required to collect OASIS for non-Medicare/non-Medicaid patients, HHAs may continue to collect OASIS data for their own use but they may not submit the data for these patients to the state. The state system will reject any assessment with a M0150 value of '0' (unchecked) for items 1, 2, 3 and 4.
CMS recently enhanced the system HHAs use to submit OASIS data. The new data system no longer supports the use of test data. Please review Federal Register Volume 85, No. 214 for additional information.
Sources and more information can be found by reviewing:
- State Operations Manual Chapter 2, 2202.3C - Non-Medicare/Non-Medicaid Patients
- CMS OASIS Q&As: Category 1 – Applicability
- Title 42 CFR § 484.20 Condition of participation: Reporting OASIS information
- Title 42 CFR § 484.55 Condition of participation: Comprehensive assessment of patients
OASIS Correction Policy
The Home Health OASIS Submission/Correction Policy fact sheet contains information about the policy change effective January 1, 2020.
QIES Technical Support Office (QTSO) Submission Information and User's Guide
Providers, vendors, state agency and regional office personnel, and other organizations performing Survey & Certification functions will find technical guidance such as references & manuals, software tools, and training materials on the QIES Technical Support Office (QTSO) website.
- QTSO Home Health Agency (HHA) Providers
- Latest Software (jHAVEN)
- References & Manuals
- Access Forms
- Important Links
CMS User Account Registration
- Home Health OASIS Quality Reporting Program
- Home Health Quality Reporting Requirements
- Home Health Quality Reporting Data Submission Deadlines
- OASIS Quality Measures
- OASIS Quality Improvement Reports (PDF) (Chapter 6 of the CASPER HHA Reporting User's Manual) found on the HHA Reference & Manuals QTSO webpage
- CMS Home Health Spotlight and Announcements
- Home Health Star Ratings information from CMS HHA Quality Initiative website
- Home Health Compare: national website for consumers to compare Quality Measures between HHAs
- ICD-10 Coding Information
- Medicare Benefit Policy Manual Chapter 7 (PDF)
- Medicare Benefit Policy Manual Chapter 10 (PDF)
- Beneficiary Notices Initiative (BNI) and Advance Beneficiary Notice of Noncoverage (ABN)
- CMS Medicare Learning Network – Denial of Home Health Payments (CR 9585, MLN SE 17009) (PDF)
- Home Heath Prospective Payment System (PPS)
- National Government Services (NGS): Medicare claims/rules