Are you a provider for a home health agency (HHA)? We’re here to help. This page includes rules and regulations for operating an HHA in Wisconsin.
Select a link to learn more:
- Caregiver Programs— Read about the variety of programs in Wisconsin, as well as required background checks.
- HHA Statistics and Data—Find historical data reports for HHAs from Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS), including home health citations and complaints.
- Wisconsin Admin. Code ch. DHS 133—Learn more about Wisconsin administrative codes specific to HHAs.
- Licensing and Regulation of HHAs (Wis. Stat. § 50.49)—Read definitions and requirements for HHAs.
- Rights of Home Health Agency Patients, F-62601 (PDF)—Find details on patient rights.
- Waivers, Approvals, Variances, and Exceptions: Hospitals, Hospices, HHAs, or Personal Care Agencies—Learn about procedures and requirements.
Electronic visit verification (EVV) requirement
In response to the federal 21st Century Cures Act, DHS requires EVV for:
- Medicaid-covered personal care services.
- Medicaid-covered home health services (effective January 1, 2023).
EVV electronically verifies that HHAs provided authorized services. Home care workers must send information at the beginning and end of each visit using an EVV system.
Learn more about EVV.
- Code of Federal Regulations: Home Health Services – 42 CFR 484—Learn about patient care, patient rights, and more for HHAs.
- HHA State Operations Manual Revisions: Appendix B, HHA Enforcement Guidance and revisions to Chapter 2, Certification Process—Find guidance from CMS (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) on survey regulations for HHAs.
- Internet-Only Manuals—Find program issuances, day-to-day operating instructions, policies, and procedures from CMS.