Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Personal Care Agencies

Personal care agencies (PCAs) provide medical support to help individuals with daily activities to keep them in their homes. These agencies can be:

  • Home health agencies.
  • County departments.
  • Independent living centers.
  • American Indian tribes or bands.
  • Freestanding personal care agencies.

Certified personal care providers conduct these services on written physician orders. Personal care workers can be employed or under contract with providers. These workers provide care with supervision from a registered nurse. They follow a written care plan.

Finding and choosing a personal care agency

Contact us

For questions about PCAs, contact the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) Division of Quality Assurance (DQA):

  • Email
  • Call 608-266-2702.
  • Fax 608-264-9847.
  • Mailing address:
    DHS Division of Quality Assurance
    Attn: PCA Certification
    PO Box 2969
    Madison, WI 53701-2969

Additional contacts

Application process

Lisa Imhof, 608-266-2702

Compliance history

Lisa Imhof, 608-266-2702

Also use the provider search tool to learn about compliance history for providers.

Medication and drug administration

Douglas Englebert, 608-266-5388 or 262-538-0271

Medicaid certification process

Questions related to reimbursement/Provider services call 800-947-9627

Visit the ForwardHealth website.

Nurse consultant (rule compliance and interpretation)

Kelly Nelson, 920-428-0096

Supportive homecare

Bureau of Managed Care, 608-267-7286

Survey inspection process

Kelly Terrab, 608-266-0269

Sara Schmidt, 608-261-6752

Related topics

DQA Email Subscription Service

Last revised April 17, 2024