Construction plans submitted to the Office of Plan Review and Inspection (OPRI) during COVID-19 need to be in an electronic pdf file. The drawings must bear the seal and signature of the representing design professional. Submit the construction plans, the completed Plan Approval Application, and a copy of the plan submittal fees check in electronic pdf file format to: DHSDQAPlanReview@dhs.wisconsin.gov. Plan submittal fees in the form of a check, along with a copy of the completed Plan Approval Application, need to be mailed to the Plan Intake Coordinator at the address below. This will ensure the Plan Intake Coordinator matches the fees to the correct construction project. Once the payment is received the plans will be processed and an email sent to the submitter.
- Plan Approval Application, F-62333 (Word)
- Permission to Start Construction Request, F-62457 (Word) – Permission to start can be required for footing and foundation work only. Contact the local municipality for specific permitting criteria.
Note: OPRI will begin the plan review process once an application is determined complete. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Incomplete applications may include:
- Omitted items (plans, application form, money)
- Plan is not signed/sealed
- Incorrect fee
- Missing or incorrect information on the application
Submit health care facility plumbing plans to the Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS) for plan review:
Compliance Statement and Checklist
A completed Compliance Statement is required to be submitted to OPRI prior to finale inspection. Checklists are tools to use as a reference list of common items reviewed during a health care construction inspection. Questions relating to required elements of a final occupancy inspection should be directed to your DQA inspector.
- Compliance Statement, F-62495 (Word) – Required prior to the initial occupancy of a new building or addition, as well as required prior to the final occupancy of an alteration of an existing building.
- Health Care Facility Construction Documentation Checklist, F-62494 (PDF)
Petition for Variance
The Petition for Variance form should be used for applicants who are seeking a variance for an alternative method of compliance to a specific building code requirement:
- Petition for Building Code Variance, F-62537 (Word) – Complete and submit this form to petition for a variance from the building code.
Licensed adult family homes, community-based residential facilities, facilities serving people with developmental disabilities, hospitals, and nursing homes are required to report all incidents of fire in their facility within 72 hours by completing and submitting the online Health Care Facility Fire Report, F-62500.
Mail fees check and a copy of the completed Plan Approval Application to:
DHS/Division of Quality Assurance
ATTN: Plan Intake Coordinator
819 N. 6th St., Room 609B
Milwaukee, WI 53203-1606
You may also email to DHSDQAPlanReview@dhs.wisconsin.gov.
If you have questions regarding completion of forms, you may call the Plan Intake Coordinator at 414-227-4085.