A waiver or variance may be granted if the Department of Health Services (DHS) finds that the waiver or variance will not adversely affect the health, safety, or welfare of any client, resident or patient.
Waivers and variances by provider type
Select a provider category below for waiver and variance information including how to submit a request:
- Assisted Living (waivers, approvals, variances or exceptions)
- Adult family homes
- Community-based residential facilities
- Residential care apartment complexes
- Adult day care
- Behavioral Health
- Mental health treatment programs
- Substance abuse treatment programs
- Hospital, Hospice or Home Health Agency
- Nurse Aide Programs
- Nurse aide training programs
- Nurse aide federal employment eligibility renewal
- Long-Term Care
- Nursing homes
- Facilities serving people with developmental disabilities
Life safety and building code
- Life Safety Code (LSC) federal waivers – The procedure for waivers or variances of federal LSC requirements is found in Chapter 2 of the Federal State Operations Manual, section 2480 – LSC Waivers.
- Wisconsin commercial building code variance – The Petition for Building Code Variance, F-62537 (Word) should be used for applicants who are seeking a variance for an alternative method of compliance to a specific building code requirement.
If you have questions, please email the Division of Quality Assurance or call 608-266-8481.